Excalibur 21 Speed Control

rdscroll

I've got an Excalibur 21 and a large marquetry project. I'd like to reduce the saw's speed to something approaching hand sawing (<=100 strokes a minute) has anyone tried this or does it seem reasonable or feasible? Could I replace the current speed control or add another external to the saw? Thanks for your  help

Hey Randy, welcome to the Village! Are you an experienced scroller? It has been my experience that cutting at very slow speeds tend to lift the project of the table especially thin veneers. You are better off sandwiching the veneers between two thin boards like 1/8" Baltic birch plywood. But to answer your question, no, you can not add anything to reduce the speed without burning up your motor.

Randy, first off, welcome to the Village. I see this is your first posting, why not introduce yourself and let us know a little about you. How long have you been scrolling, do you have any pictures of your work? What are your favorite subjects to cut, this is the type of info that helps us get to know you? Another item I like to know, is where does a fellow scroller come from? Not that it's important that we know that, but, it does help getting to know you also.

Personally, I think Dan has answered your with the proper answer. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with the changes, hopefully, it won't cause any damage to your saw.

Len

Randy, I was just thinking about your question again, and I would like to know why you want to slow down the speed of your saw? If it's so that you have more control, you don't need to slow the speed down. All you need to do, is find the right blade for the job. Try using a fine tooth blade, to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, then try a blade that is not as fine. No matter what the material is, you should be able cut it with the scroll saw. All it is, is a matter of having enough practice and using the right blade at the proper speed.

Len

Sorry for the unintended breach of etiquette. I'm a reticent woodworker in Texas relatively new to the scroll saw. I was hoping to have someone give me the magic speed that would compensate for my lack of skill. I'm trying to improve my marquetry. Double bevel in particular. It seems the steeper the angle the worse the outcome. Particularly detailed areas such as text. I sometimes have better results slowly hand sawing. I use the slowest speed on the Excalibur and sandwich the veneer tightly between cardboard. The cut quality is good with little tear out. Suggestions welcome. Thanks again for your time and patience.

Randy, I have an ex 21 and never had a problem with the speed.first of all make sure your blade is straight.put a square on your table and next to the blade and see if it's straight. I use a 3/0 ur on most everything I cut with no problem.sometimes I also use a #5/0. I get all my blades from Mike workshop.also don push the wood into the blade. That will make the blade wander. The

Sorry for the unintended breach of etiquette. I'm a reticent woodworker in Texas relatively new to the scroll saw. I was hoping to have someone give me the magic speed that would compensate for my lack of skill. I'm trying to improve my marquetry. Double bevel in particular. It seems the steeper the angle the worse the outcome. Particularly detailed areas such as text. I sometimes have better results slowly hand sawing. I use the slowest speed on the Excalibur and sandwich the veneer tightly between cardboard. The cut quality is good with little tear out. Suggestions welcome. Thanks again for your time and patience.

:)  Randy I am also pretty new to scrolling and have been looking for that magic speed and blade combo. I think the magic we need is experience so good luck in putting it all together.