Lathe and scroll saw

tonylumps

I am enjoying both as a hobby.But if were trying to make a few extra bucks with either I would go for my lathe.When I started turning pens I had no intensions of selling any of them I sold quite a few pens by word of mouth at real good prices.Then I went on Etsie and checked what scroll work was selling for.Might as well give them away.So if I am enjoying a hobby and getting paid for it.That is a double wammy  Any other thoughts on this subject.

I just started with the lathe about a year ago. So I'm still learning and am much more confident with my scroll saw. However, my father-in-law turns bowls that are really artwork and getting a few hundred for them. Most are sold before he's finished with them. And I end up donating most of my bigger scroll projects to get rid of them, so I definitely agree with your point. People seem to appreciate the talent scrolling takes, but it isn't always something they want to pay for.

Edited by MTCowpoke22

I also do both and will say that if you want to make more money then turning is the way to go. The reason there is a greater audience to sell to than scroll work. I learned very quickly over 30 years ago when I started doing scroll work, people want functional items. The magazine racks, tissue boxes, napkin holders and of course clocks. The days of selling portraits and wall hanging things is and has always been a tough sell. Religious crosses will do fine too. 

But for the quick $$$$ turning a few pens will make you more money than hours of scrolling. Do not get me wrong there is always room for both. Turning is a higher initial outlay for tools and materials so it will take some time to recoup those losses so remember that too. Scrolling is not as much. Both are enjoyable hobbies and then combine the two and you really got things rolling. Those are my thoughts.

Last December, I went to the Christkindl Markt in Mifflinberg PA.  A guy there was turning little Christmas trees about 6 inches high.  There was a line of folks waiting to buy them as he made them paying $10 a piece for the trees and it was taking him about 6 minutes each.  He was using what I believe was Birch or Bass and the type of tree required no finish.  I was there for a few hours annd he never took a break.  

Last Tuesday, I saw something very disheartening over at Thadeus Stevens College in Lancaster PA.  The Instructor fed a 4 pictures into a computer, applied a program and a computer operated laser machine cut out a plywood panels that when assembled created a  3d  copy of the house that he photographed.  It set up like those little plasticville houses for Lionel trains sets.  The detail was amazing right down to the bricks in the wall and the curtains in the windows. 

Another instructor demonstrated how he put pewter rings into lathe turned wooden bowls.  Positively gorgeous work. 

So I have been turning some little Christmas trees and snowmen all donated to a charity decorations sale the end of November.

20161026_172817_zpsyvr9ky9v.jpg

I am getting better with each one.

Edited by zimmerstutzen

I have been donating smaller pieces of scroll work to different functions. And I enjoy it.But the larger pieces I hate to part with.So my wife is forcing me to go to a Craft show next month so I could make some room in the house for the Holidays.I am running out of room.What you see in the one photo is about half of what is around the house.I agreed if she sold the scroll work, I would sell Pens.I will see what happens.This will be my first show

post-29130-0-85251400-1478725343_thumb.jpg

post-29130-0-34613500-1478725363_thumb.jpg

post-29130-0-76608800-1478725380_thumb.jpg

Edited by tonylumps

I started turning pens a couple of years ago. A few months ago I purchased a couple of scroll saws. Scrolling is infinitely cheaper than turning. Turning pens is a money pit unless you can sell enough to cover the cost of supplies and kits. I am retired and am no longer around many people as I was when in business. There only so many people I can give pens to and now I have enough to last me the rest of my life. I have quite a few kits so will turn them. There are lots of other things to turn besides pens and bowls. Salt and pepper grinders, bottle stoppers. key chain fobs, refrigerator magnets and a host of other things. However, since I started scrolling I have done little turning. Scrolling is ADDICTIVE!

I have turned my share of pens and bottle stoppers and bowls and pepper mills and so on... Around here, there are many, many turners trying to sell there wares. At many shows I have done, there are two or three turner selling, and I'm always the only scroller.

I still have my lathe, but haven't used it in a few years.

Edited by dgman

Really nice pens.I can't believe with all of this technology,texting .email.People still love nice pensThe only Pens that sell for me are the high end exotic woods and Acrylic

I love making pens and get a fair $$$ for them so to me they are more lucrative. I can easily make more money selling pens and I do sell them along side my scrolled items at shows. 

IMGP0743.jpg

IMGP0772.jpg

IMGP0616.jpg

I love making pens and get a fair $$$ for them so to me they are more lucrative. I can easily make more money selling pens and I do sell them along side my scrolled items at shows. 

IMGP0743.jpg

IMGP0772.jpg

IMGP0616.jpg

I do both as well and sell most pens to people at work for presents and the scrolling at the shows I try not to sell pens at the shows as I would never be off the lathe. Roly

Roly I do both at the same time.While the epoxy is drying I am cutting.So I have saw dust coming from everywhere.

On the scroll saw, you have to focus your work towards project types that sell.  For me, I sell all the scrollsaw boxes I can make.  Jim Finn does well with those also.  For the bucks per minute, I get more for my coins than the woodwork, but I like doing both.

I tried selling a fretwork piece in the same CraftStore, and didn't sell it until I marked it down to a penny.

------Randy

What is the smallest lathe a person can get away with for making pens and little Christmas Trees? I don't have a lot of room in my garage.

Jim

You do not want to go too small. Pennstateind sells a dedicated pen lathe.But you are limited to pens and bottle stoppers I have a Rikon 70-100 it is considered a bench top. I think that size is is about right for what you want Rockler sells there own brand small lathe about the size of my Rikon It has had decent reviews for the money.All of my equipment is on wheels as I need them I just pull them out and plug them in.Now if I can sell my Motorcycle I would have much more room.

You do not want to go too small. Pennstateind sells a dedicated pen lathe.But you are limited to pens and bottle stoppers I have a Rikon 70-100 it is considered a bench top. I think that size is is about right for what you want Rockler sells there own brand small lathe about the size of my Rikon It has had decent reviews for the money.All of my equipment is on wheels as I need them I just pull them out and plug them in.Now if I can sell my Motorcycle I would have much more room.

Selling your motorcycle should NOT be an option!

• 1 month later...

Just for an update.  I donated about 12 turned snowmen and as many turned Christmas trees to our local Lion's club Christmas decorating sale. The stuff I donated brought over $350.00 for projects like training guide dogs, eye glasses for poor folk, etc.  

As a member of the Lake Gaston Lions Club I salute you.

i scroll & turn both. i'm a beginner turner, just within the last year. i've been scroll'n 24 years. i decided to try turnin' to give some of my scroll projects a different twist. As it has it turned out, i've made some chair rungs, some tire thumpers for trucker friends of mine. Chair legs, etc. And my scroll work is still my highest demand. 

There are two turners clubs here in Lubbock and zero scrolling clubs. (Lubbock County has over 250,000 people)

I see pens for ransom at a few sales but no other turned items.  Often I am the only vender offering wooden items, so I do well.  I agree that functional items sell much easier than purely decorative items do. Decorative items also take up more selling space and more time to make than my boxes or toys  do..  I have stopped offering wall hung items except for small crosses.  I have a lathe that has been under my bench for over three years now, but use my scroll saws every day.  I have never made a pen, and the items I offered, that required lathe use, were very slow to sell.

I also have both a lathe and of course my Scroll saw. My Saw paid for all of the other tools in my shop including my Nova DVR-XP 16-24 (It doesn't take much room.)  Although I will add another section of bed and move the lathe to another location. The tail stock gets in the way on the short bed.  If looking for a lathe I would suggest a bigger swing and enough power to turn bowls. Don't limit yourself to just pens. JMO

I would not sell my scrolled work on line especially not Etsy. To me all of our wood working needs to be seen and touched for the beauty to be fully appreciated. Having said that you have to figure out what sells in your market.

As far as return on time and material, I stack cut 6 ornaments at a time, for the most complex it takes me about an hour to cut and finish 6 of them. I charge $12 each. I would not get that return on my pens.

I love to turn and will incorporate more turnings into my inventory but scroll work is my bread and butter. I only make things that appeal to me and my wife. That has worked so far.

I am fortunate that I have developed a large following and have no competition in my area. 

Edited by Rolf