My Saw Broke!!!!!!!

ThCubed

I have a Delta ss350. The screw that holds the blade in place became stripped and bent. My husband took the entire blade holder off to try to fix it. He was able to find another screw like it. But when he put it all back together it won't cut a straight line at all. He doesn't know a lot about scroll saws (I had to tell him how the pieces looked before he took it apart). We don't know what to do to fix it.

He told me I could buy a Dewalt, but I think a repair might be less expensive . But maybe I should take him up on the offer!! Are the Dewalts a lot better then the Deltas? I don't know much about any saw other then the Delta. I've been quite happy with it up till now! Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

If you get a DeWalt, you certainly won't be disappointed. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the DeWalt scroll saw is probably the favorite mid-level saw for scroll saw enthusiasts. If you have the budget and spouse permission, I'd go for it! The best deal I've come across for a DeWalt is from Grizzly. It includes the stand and the light.

If you decide to fix it, you should be able to find a repair shop to do it. I'm guessing if it doesn't cut straight, its an alignment issue. But I'm not all that mechanical. :?

I wish I would have had someone like Travis to tell me where the best deal was when I brought my Dewalt model 788 . I can tell you that the Dewalt is a great production saw , after wearing out a good Craftsman 16" Scroll Saw . I had to kick it around weather or not to repair my Craftsman saw for all it needed was a set of new jaws , never the less I'm glad I made the choice to buy the new big yellow machine . And Grizzly's is the best place to buy one , good luck .............Marshall

If you get a DeWalt, you certainly won't be disappointed. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the DeWalt scroll saw is probably the favorite mid-level saw for scroll saw enthusiasts. If you have the budget and spouse permission, I'd go for it! The best deal I've come across for a DeWalt is from Grizzly. It includes the stand and the light.

If you decide to fix it, you should be able to find a repair shop to do it. I'm guessing if it doesn't cut straight, its an alignment issue. But I'm not all that mechanical. :?

Thank you so much Travis!! You have been EXTREMELY helpful in all this frustration!!! I ordered a few replacement parts for the Delta and we will see if that will fix things. However, I also called Grizzley to see if they have the Dewalt in stock and it is on backorder. I did place an order for it and they will call me when it comes in and I'm more then willing to drive the 2.5 hours each way to go get it!!!!!! It kills me to be without my saw!!

There is one other thing, if you all don't mind. Travis sent me a diagram of the Delta and that helped us in being able to take the blade mech. off the upper arm. However when we did we noticed the top of the upper arm, where the blade mech sits, leans toward the right. Is this the way it is suppose to be, or is there a defect in the upper arm? If anyone has taken off the blade mech, did you notice this on your saw? You can't tell from the diagram if it is suppose to be like that or not.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help. Travis you have been a true jewel!!! :D

My saw of choice is the Delta SS250. I have two of them now. The first thing I do to a new one (this model) though is to remove the screw and thumb nut on the top quick clamp and trash it. Then I take a machine screw and grind the head flat on opposing sides to fit the blade holder. I use a wing nut on the other side. It works great. Now from time to time, the machine screw will bend and break, but it does last muchlonger than the screw that came with the saw. Because of this, I keep several spare screws on hand.

All that being said, if I had the budget for the Dewalt, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

i am not familiar with those models of the delta's but i have the 40-650 q-3 18" vs. it has the quickset II blade chucks on it. if they would work on your model saws i would definitely recommend them. i have had this saw about 20 yrs and only replaced them once.(i could have repaired them but just went with a new set). check with their parts dept., or RickH on the sswwc forum, and possibly mikes tools. steve p.s. i might have the parts # somewhere if needed

i am not familiar with those models of the delta's but i have the 40-650 q-3 18" vs. it has the quickset II blade chucks on it. if they would work on your model saws i would definitely recommend them. i have had this saw about 20 yrs and only replaced them once.(i could have repaired them but just went with a new set). check with their parts dept., or RickH on the sswwc forum, and possibly mikes tools. steve p.s. i might have the parts # somewhere if needed

I have seen the quick set blade chucks for this model as well. When you put this on, do you remove everything off the upper arm (remove the allen screws on top and take everything off)? If you do, when you look at the upper arm, does it tilt slightly to the right? Since we noticed that mine does, we are wondering if the arm is defective. If it is suppose to look like that, then I will definately get the quick set blade chuck for this saw too.

Thank you everyone so much for all your wonderful help!!