Looking for opinions

MTCowpoke22

So, I'm finally looking to upgrade my saw. The other night my power switch went out while trying to finish up a project for a craft sale tomorrow. I got it done by wiring around the switch and either plugging the saw in to use it and unplugging it to turn it off. Far from ideal, but ya do what ya have to when burning the midnight oil. Now, I know it's a 25 cent switch, but it's also a 20 year old Delta 40-540 Scroll Saw. It's been a great saw for me, but I think it's time to let it retire and upgrade to something else. 

So, with Excalibur being currently off the market, I've narrowed my options down to two. I really like the looks of the new Jet saw, and can get it somewhat locally (locally for me is anything within 500 miles).

The other option is I found a used 18" Hegner on Craigslist in the area. The guy is asking about the same as what the Jet costs, but it is Craigslist. It's used, but looks to be in great shape. I sent the guy an e-mail to get an idea of what he used it for and how much usage it's seen. Have yet to hear back.  

So, what is everyone's thoughts? I do mostly fretwork, with some intarsia and other projects thrown in. I am a scum sucker (bottom-feeder). Do I go new on a new-to-the-market saw? Or go with the tried and proven used saw, if I can get ahold of the guy?

If you really do a lot of the fretwork you may want to reconsider the Hegner.

I have that same saw and absolutely love it.but having said that I do not do fretwork.

The Hegner is a solid saw with plenty of support from the advanced machinery company.

You can check out their web site.

I paid 500 for my saw about 2 years ago and it was a 1995 model.

Hope this info helps.

Have fun

Larry

Two things you have to look for on the Hegner for that kind of money.Is it variable speed and does it have the front tension lever.You need both on a Hegner.If it does not have either.Stay away The tension lever will set you back another 200.00.The variable speed motor set up will set you back the price of a new Jet saw.I have an 18 Hegner and it is one heck of a saw.I also have the 16 EX.But for 3/4" and compound cutting the Hegner is my go too saw.If you bottom feed the Hegner will be the last you you will need to buy.It is just a smooth running work horse.You will get used to the clamps very fast.I bought Exrtra clamps and keep them loaded with with the size blade I am using.

Thanks Everyone. I truly appreciate all the comments. I was really leaning towards the Jet until someone showed me this Hegner. From what I can tell in the pictures, it is variable speed, but doesn't have tension lever. I haven't heard back from the seller, so that may not be an option anyways. If they do ever get back to me, I'll have to see what kind of a deal I can make if I'm going to have to buy a tension level on top of the saw. Thanks Again. 

I don't know what year Hegner started installing the front tension release but a saw without it would be a pain for fretwork cutting.   I don't know if I would buy the new Jet until there are some reviews from owners with many, many hours of use.   By the way I would like to see higher end scroll saw manufacturers install hour meters as standard equipment.  That would help establish a base for value of a used scroll saw. 

So, I'm finally looking to upgrade my saw. The other night my power switch went out while trying to finish up a project for a craft sale tomorrow. I got it done by wiring around the switch and either plugging the saw in to use it and unplugging it to turn it off. Far from ideal, but ya do what ya have to when burning the midnight oil. Now, I know it's a 25 cent switch, but it's also a 20 year old Delta 40-540 Scroll Saw. It's been a great saw for me, but I think it's time to let it retire and upgrade to something else. 

So, with Excalibur being currently off the market, I've narrowed my options down to two. I really like the looks of the new Jet saw, and can get it somewhat locally (locally for me is anything within 500 miles).

The other option is I found a used 18" Hegner on Craigslist in the area. The guy is asking about the same as what the Jet costs, but it is Craigslist. It's used, but looks to be in great shape. I sent the guy an e-mail to get an idea of what he used it for and how much usage it's seen. Have yet to hear back.  

So, what is everyone's thoughts? I do mostly fretwork, with some intarsia and other projects thrown in. I am a scum sucker (bottom-feeder). Do I go new on a new-to-the-market saw? Or go with the tried and proven used saw, if I can get ahold of the guy?

I bet if you took your time you could find an EX. Put a want to buy ad on CL. Also put an ad on some of the better wood working forums. I know the Router Forum has a section for scroll sawing. Here is a EX16 on CL that has been on there for several weeks and they might ship it. You don't know till you ask. Somewhere out there there is an EX with your name on it.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5852567305.html

I wouldn't be to quick to purchase a new Jet lathe, I would like for them to be in service for a while before buying one. If possible, could you purchase a used lathe to get by with. Something that doesn't cost to much, one that you won't mind giving up when you find the brand your looking for. Onr thing I don't like about the new Jet scroll saw, is that they have the lower blade clamp section that gets attached separetely. You can't just grab a blade and clamp it in place, you first have to attach the bottom section. To me, that would be a royal PITA, and I wouldn't want to own any saw that works that way.

Len