Blades

shoptime

Well Sean they all told me to get a few blades and try them to see what you like. To some degree that is true because people like different thing and people do different types of scrolling. I like Flying Dutchman blades the best but I have Olson blades also. I like these blades the best for what I do most. The UR#3 & UR#5. 

https://mikesworkshop.com/collections/blades/products/ultra-reverse

I also like the New Spiral at times.

https://mikesworkshop.com/collections/blades/products/new-spiral

Also you need to know the blades will dull very quickly and when they get dull they will make you make a mistake. A lot of times you can't even get through one project without changing blades. So if you had 12 dozen blades and thought you had a lot of blades it want be long before you will be buying more.

Tough one to answer without knowing what you plan to make and what woods you are using.  Just like different golf clubs are made for different shots, different fishing lures are made for different kinds of fish and different shape wrenches are made different projects different styles blades are designed for difffernt types of cutting and different materials.  If I had to choose my favorite all around blade it would be a #3 or #5 Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse.  

You typically don't use a spiral blade to make a puzzles or do inlays because of the size of the kerf.  Same token you would not use a flat puzzle blade to cut a 1 3/4" compound ornament as the blade is too thin and flexible. You would not use a #9 skip tooth blade to cut ornaments from 1/8" stock because that size and shape blade cuts too aggressively and would tear your wood. 

Sorry if I sound so harsh.  I would love to help you more if can provide some idea of what you would like to learn to make.

Edited by NC Scroller

What type of projects do you want to make? What thickness of material? What material? If you intend to make mostly projects from 3/4 in wood a #5 or 7 skip tooth blade will be your best choice. Christmas ornaments from 1/8 in wood with intricate inside cuts a #1 or 2/0. Cutting metal use metal/jewlers blades. To find out what you need and like check out the Olson blade chart available at the olson site. Pegas blades and flying dutchman also have information. I started with a selection from a pattern retailer check out Slones, Wooden teddy bear, Wildwood designs. If your library has a copy of The new Scrollsaw handbook by Pat Spielman read the chapter about blades.

I know I did not answer your question but you have to do some experimation with different blades and makers to find the ones that you like and use. I have about 15 different blades from 3 different makers and when I find new blades/makers I try a dozen.

Fredfret

Wichita, Ks

Well Sean they all told me to get a few blades and try them to see what you like. To some degree that is true because people like different thing and people do different types of scrolling. 

Hawkeye10  probably gave the best advise with these two sentences. I would suggest getting some different brands and tooth configurations.  I feel that most would agree #3 and #5 are the most common and universal blades.  The tooth configuration is a different story.  Another bit of information that is helpful is a blade chart.  This will at least provide some guidelines to material and thickness.  Pick up some blades and try, you will find some that you lie.  

I live in Iowa (USA). Garage has very minimal heat, so this old geezer is content to stay inside over winter.

A few months ago on this site there were some pretty good reviews for Olson blades. They are available locally, so I bought a half dozen of different styles and sizes.

For me personally, I will not do that again, but stay with FD UR 5, 3 and a few 2s.

jerry

For someone just learning, how do I figure what blades to get? Thank you, Sean

If you want to learn the hard way buy all spiral blades.you won't find many folks liking them so if can learn to use them your one of the rare few.They cut much much slower than straight blades so thats one drawback But are excellent for portraits and animals.You won't find your blade of choice right away till you build up some scrolling time.Take your time ,keep the blade tight and check often .A loose blade breaks quickly.