Blades for 3D cutting?

hawkeye10

I have done 100's of compound pieces.  Some as thick as 2".  Hands down I prefer the Flying Dutchman Polar Blades in either a #5 or #7.  FYI pine while a soft wood is not all that easy to compound cut because the blade will tend to follow the grain.  Also DO NOT compound cut any piece with a knot in it.  The knot will break and fall out and ruin the piece 99 times out of a 100.  Trust me.

I have done 100's of compound pieces.  Some as thick as 2".  Hands down I prefer the Flying Dutchman Polar Blades in either a #5 or #7.  FYI pine while a soft wood is not all that easy to compound cut because the blade will tend to follow the grain.  Also DO NOT compound cut any piece with a knot in it.  The knot will break and fall out and ruin the piece 99 times out of a 100.  

Scott advice taken, thanks. What wood do you like to cut compound pieces the best?

Scott advice taken, thanks. What wood do you like to cut compound pieces the best?

Cedar will be the easiest to cut. I made dozens of bird houses and I used pieces of scrap that I glue together to get the thickness, so I used jusy about every kind of wood. Oak, ash, walnut, cherry, yellow and purple heart(not recommended very hard wood) so the sky is the limit.  I agree on blades choice FDUR # 5 and 7.

I use a variety.  My two favorite woods are Poplar and Butternut.    Butternut is often called poor man's walnut.  I also use basswood and aspen on a regular basis.  I am lucky as I have a hardwood store a couple hours from me so I can purchase 5/4, 6/4, 8/4 and even thicker stock.   It is sold by the board foot but you would be amazed on how much you get per board foot. My last trip I got 8/4 basswood for $3.40 a board foot.   

Another compound cutting trick is to enlarge or reduce patterns to fit the size wood I have available.  For example if the pattern calls for 1 1/2" wood and all you have is 1" wood copy it at 66%.  Have a 1" pattern and want to cut it on 1 1/4" stock copy it at 125%.  You get the picture.