Mask Anyone?

knightyme

I'm brand-new to scrolling, well, I'm brand-new to doing anything with wood, aside from burning it in our fireplace. So, I'm going to ask a newbie question, albeit a serious one to me.

Does anyone here wear any type of breathing protection, when they work with wood? For the sake of clarity, here are a couple of facts to work with.

• I do not have any respiratory issues

• the projects I'm concentrating on right now require me to cut (table saw and scroll saw) and sand 3/4" medium density MDF

• I have a well-ventilated 30x40 workshop

So, what's the reason for my line of questioning?

As most of you are more than aware, there is plenty of sawdust flying around my shop. Do I need to be concerned with it?

Thanks!!

Hey Ron and welcome. I wear a mask when I am scrolling or sanding and I also have dust collection that in most cases gets the dust at the source. I bought this cloth mask which is comfortable as you can get for such things. It filters down to 1 micron and I have read that is pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Comfy-Mask-by-Breathe-Healthy-For-Dust-Pollen-Allergy-Relief-/232146511014?

Yes Ron, definitely wear a mask and make sure you have a proper and comfortable fit. The net will provide you with suggestions re: a quality mask. I would suggest not ordering on line. It's best if you can try for fit. Protect your lungs. They'll be glad you had. I use hand tools as much as possible such as hand planes, chisels, wood scrapers and etc. eliminating dust. Much more enjoyable, and quiet than power tools.

Edited by Ron Johnson

Yes Ron, you should wear some sort of personal protection equipment. You state that you presently have no respiratory issues, well, if you want to keep it that way, protect yourself. Plus, there's nothing worse than the dust from MDF, it's the finest and most chemically laden material there is. To put it bluntly, it's deadly dust! You state that your shop is well ventilated, how is it so well ventilated? Is it just a matter of the doors and windows being open to let the air pass through, is there any type of dust collection in the shop? In all workshops that work with wood of any type, you should wear some sort of protection. If you can't afford a good quality respirator, then if nothing else, wear one of those preformed ones. Personally, I think they are useless, but, others swear by them. I wear a charcoal charged chemical respirator when scrolling, I got used to wearing them at work and I don't mind wearing them. If I'm turning wood on the lathe, I wear a trend air filter system. I have a cloth respirator that I wear when I'm doing other woodwork, I put it on as soon as I enter the workshop. It may seem as if I'm a paranoia case, but, I've seen to many people die of lung related issues. And I'm doing everything I can do for myself, to not be one of them.

Len 

Wow. MDF is bad stuff, it creates very small dust particles and is not healthy at all. Yes you need a mask and one of good quality. Here is a link for wood toxicity. Best to know what you are dealng with so you can take the proper preventive measures. 

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Hope this helps.