EX scroll saw maintenance?

hawkeye10

Don, I've never done that type of service to my saw, and I don't plan to until the saw sounds different in any way. There's and old saying out there, something about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It'a a wise saying, It's just to sad that most people don't pay much attention to it. There should be no issues with your bearing, they are sealed. Even if you do add grease, it won't be getting to the bearings unless you break the seal. If you do that, then you deserve whatever happens. If you want to service and grease your saw, then grease only the parts that move. The pivot points and rocker arms, other then that there's nothing else to grease.

Len 

Don, I've never done that type of service to my saw, and I don't plan to until the saw sounds different in any way. There's and old saying out there, something about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It'a a wise saying, It's just to sad that most people don't pay much attention to it. There should be no issues with your bearing, they are sealed. Even if you do add grease, it won't be getting to the bearings unless you break the seal. If you do that, then you deserve whatever happens. If you want to service and grease your saw, then grease only the parts that move. The pivot points and rocker arms, other then that there's nothing else to grease.

Len 

Len i wish dw788's had all sealed bearings .i could have saved a lot of money not buying so many just to keep scrolling!i wonder if ex and dewalt bearings are interchangeable.they  are basically the same machine inside????

Len i wish dw788's had all sealed bearings .i could have saved a lot of money not buying so many just to keep scrolling!i wonder if ex and dewalt bearings are interchangeable.they  are basically the same machine inside????

Kevin there is a video on UT showing how to do maintenance on the 788 but you already know that. What you may not know is they tell where you can buy better and cheaper bearings for your saw. Now ain't that great???   :lol:    :thumbs:

I found  bearings can be found less expensive at places other than the manufacturer of the tool/equipment or ereplacementparts and places like that. I usually go to places like that to get the bearing # then start cross referencing

and it might be possible to put sealed bearings in the 788.

as far as maintenance on my EX, I blow it off and once a year I pull the rocker arms apart,clean them thoroughly, and a light coat of grease. its not required, but I just do it.

sealed bearings rock!!

the owners manual only shows to add a dab of grease to the trunions

Edited by tomsteve