Variable speed control.

pjl83

Hi Guys,

Just wondering how often you use your variable speed function on your Scroll Saws? It seems to be up to £50 difference in a new saw with and without the variable speed feature.

I'll be cutting portraits, puzzles, and making parts for toys. My thoughts were that the tilt in the bed would come in handy but I wasn't sure that the variable speed was worth the extra cash?

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

I'm new and still learning but I find I change the speeds depending upon the thickness of the project. I try different speeds until I get what feels like a good working speed. It appears I use faster speeds on thinner woods and slower speeds on thicker woods. If I should try it another way I'd be happy to hear from the pros on the site.

I have been scrolling for 20 yrs or so and have used single speed machines and VS machines. If you like scrolling and think that you will scrolling for awhile then I suggest a VS machine. With different species of wood being different density and the various thicknesses you will be kicking yourself for not getting it when you have to sand off burn marks because of not being able to adjust the speed or mess up a delicate piece that you are almost done cutting because you can't slow the saw down. Those are a few things that I have ran into with a single speed saw. personally have to have VS, and be able to use plain end blades, Also toolless blade changing if you are doing fret work. Steve

Unless you cannot absolutely afford it, get variable speed for the reasons outlined above. I would say that variable speed is more important than a tilting table (however I'd get both). A tilting table is really only used for inlay work and bowl making. I've never used my tilting table, personally, but I'm glad I have it. Variable speed, I use all of the time depending on wood, thickness, and how delicate the pattern is. It makes all the difference in the world.