Confused as to what to make of this.

bronx

post-29685-0-57220700-1483111260_thumb.jpgI have been trying my hand at making pieces with clocks. My first attempt was the Patriot clock from Steve Goods line of patterns. The thickness of the wood was 3/8. The clock insert was 2 3/4 with a 2 3/8 Forstner bit, It fit perfect. A very nice tight fit.

My second attempt a Jolly Rogers (Skull clock from Steve Good) 1/4 thick wood. The mini clock insert was 1 7/16 drilled with a 1 3/8 Forstner bit. The fix was perfect and very tight. I didn't like the way it came out and scrapped the project.

Now here is the problem. I made a clock for a doctor from 1/2 piece of wood. I used the "same" mini clock insert from the Skull clock. 1 7/16 mini clock and drilled the hole with the same 1 3/8 Forstner bit and the mini clock will not fit. The whole is way to big. 

I used my drill press and clamped down the wood to stay in place. I tried different pieces of wood and something is just not right and I can't pin point where I am making the mistake at.

I need help in finding out where my mistake lies.

Thanks 

Ciao bronx

I started over and scroll sawed the whole for the mini clock.

Edited by bronx

As mentioned above those mini inserts use a rubber ring to hold them in place. If you do not have this it will fall out of the hole. Now what can also happen with those things is that you will see there are small extenders for a lack of a better term all around that ring in groups of 3. There is a proper way to face the ring around the insert so that it makes it easier to install in the hole and if not done correctly you can break these off and it now loosen the insert and will not grab correctly. Maybe something to look at.  

Bronx, one thing to keep in mind, always measure the insert before cutting the whole. It doesn't take very long to do, and it can help prevent things like this from happening. There is a fix for this boo-boo, you can cut a ring out of another piece of wood. One that will fill the hole that is there now, then you can measure the insert and cut a hole the right size. This fix looks better, if you can use the same type and color of wood. I've done this in the past, and it does a nice job.

Len

Again here is my take and the first thing is to remeasure the hole drilled and make sure it was 1-3/8" Next is look to see if it uses a rubber ring to hold it in and if so is it there. If the insert uses the plastic springs make sure they were not broken from foring into the first project or from taking out of the first project. To fix. If it has a rubber ring and it is not there you can order them seperately or if you have one from another insert you are not using. Or you can just use a rubber band and that will work also. If it has the plastic clips and they are stretched you can put some piece of cardboard behind them to bring them back out or some other material.

Would like to see a reply from you as to what is happening.