permission

dj21817

Hi everyone,

i have been on this site awhile and i really enjoy this forum alot and gives out alot of helpful information and patterns.i have recently decided to try to run a a small buisness doing scroll saw projects and have made several projects using patterns from this site.Now i am in the process of designing a website so that some of my clients past and future ones can go to to visit and see what great patterns are available to be cut.My question to you guys and gals is i was hoping it be ok with you if i posted your patterns on my site.your name will be attached to the pattern and i will not take credit for them nor will i make any changes to them.The patterns will not be for sale unless you say its ok.the main purpose i am asking is cause i have had many inquiries about what patterns i can cut or what is available to cut.any thanks to you great designers i have been able to make wood pieces to suit many types of people.SO to make long story short,im asking if its ok for me to post ur patterns on my site .if not please let me know .no hard feelings and thanks ahead of time.keep up the great work and i love this site and all its people

Hi DJ. In general, you shouldn't post the patterns. Pattern designers like to control where their patterns appear. Since they've uploaded them to SSV, they have given SSV permission to display/share them. But if another site starts showing their patterns, you can run into all kinds of issues from hard feelings to copyright issues. If you decide you want to display patterns, you'll have to contact each designer individually and ask for expressed permission.

The problem you'll run into is other people will copy the patterns for their own use from your site. You end up circumventing the process where the designer gets their due credit and control over who uses their pattern. While we're happy to share with friends, there's a lot of piracy on the internet. I know I'd hate for one of my designs to end up on a tshirt at Cafe Press.

The best way to show people what you can do is have a wide variety of cuttings. Show pictures of your cuttings, not the patterns. Its much more impressive, and you'll avoid the headache displaying patterns will produce. If someone is looking for something specific, they'll ask. You can even state that you'll take custom orders. If someone contacts you and asks for some wolf patterns, you can then email them and show some options. That's the way I'd deal with it, anyway.

So nobody will be able to give you a blanket permission to use the patterns on this site on your own site. You'll have to contact each designer specifically and ask for their permission on a per-pattern basis.

I hope this answers your question.

Just so you know, here's my policy regarding my own patterns. You can sell your finished cuttings (up to 200 finished cuttings/pattern). They cannot be produced with an automated process (robots, computers, lasers, etc). The patterns themselves cannot be displayed or distributed on any website that I haven't given expressed permission for. I probably won't give permission unless I own the website (I do own several scroll saw/woodworking websites). I'd also appreciate pattern credit wherever applicable and perhaps a linkback to SSV if possible.

Same here. Your free to cut as many copies of my patterns as you'd like, or make any changes to the pattern for your personal use (as long as you give me credit for the original), but please don't post the pattern in it's original or edited state on a different website. I only post on a couple of forums, for other scrollers who are members of those forums. Like travis said, it would suck to see your pattern on a t-shirt and find out that they have a copyright on it or something, lol. You wouldn't even be able to cut your own pattern! lol

The problem is, I wouldn't mind it being on your website if you could control it to where only your potential customers could see it. BUT as it is, just anybody could come along and right click and save it and then you never know where it could wind up from there.