inkscape yet another question

bandaideman

OK I have finally made a pattern with internal names on last name. I was doing Ok but after I finally got all the way to the end and then cleaned it up deleting things with node tool. was happy with it but not sure how to print it out. I find I can no longer move the pattern as one piece to move about the paper area and decide how to break it up to print. When I go to move I can select the last name and it leaves the frist names behind and moves with the white area cookie cutter remaining with the last name. or if I move the first names then they will come apart with a red duplicate and a grey one. I am confused. I will try again because everytime I get closer than the time before. Any explanations of what I am missing or doing to break the union up will be helpful. I am sooooooo close. Thank you

After you have the pattern set up as you want, draw a box around the entire project and hold down the "Control key" while pressing down on the "G", that is called grouping and it will group or weld the objects together and you can then work with it as 1 object.  I believe that is the correct procedure as best as my old mind remembers.  Hope that helps.

Bob