Are the Delta 40-964 and the DeWalt 788 identical?

JMB

I have been reading about how they are now made by the same manufacturer and that you even have to get the Delta serviced at the DeWalt service center.  But are there any  significant differences that would make one preferable?

I see that the Delta has a five year warranty where the DeWalt is 90 days and the Delta has a catch so that when you raise the bar, it stays.   I know you can add that as an accessory on the 788 so there are at least two advantages to the Delta and there is about $150 difference in price.  Anything else I should know before I get the wife to free up some money?

Thanks for your help.  I am using an old two-speed Delta that came off Craig's List for $40 and wanting very much to improve my equipment.

I have  Delta and am pleased with it.  Both are probably shipped from the factory(s) greased inadequately.  There are 2 schools of thought on this site, and both have merit.

1.  I have been doing mechanical work most of my life, and it is second nature to me.  I unpacked my saw, started it up to be sure that it was OK and dissembled a brand new saw and greased all the bearings.  I take mine apart every year and grease it.

2.  Others don't want to do that because it voids the warranty.  Some will tell you that their saw didn't last the warranty period.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  An awful lot will depend on how many hours a year you use it.  I only saw "when I feel like it."  Do not try to sell anything and shut down for the winter (Iowa) because I don't have a heated place to work, and don't care to put in a heater to do so.

I think I read on this site that it's easier to get repair parts for a Dewalt.

Best of luck on your decision Friend.

jerry

Thanks Jerry.  I know that both saws are good and the 788 certainly has a long and favorable reputation.  I am looking to save the $150 difference in purchase price if I can.  I bought a Porter Cable saw last week and took it back 24 hours later.  It solved some problems I knew to look at but created several new ones.  I'd like to make a decision and be able to live with it.

No John, they are not idendticle. They are very similar, and some parts are even interchangeable. But, the Delta saw is built with lower quality parts, and were built as a go between the Dewalt and lower cost saws. This info is in a past copy of Wood magazine, they did a write-up on the saw when they were first introduced to the market. I'm not sure which Wood magazine issue it was in, but a search might find the article. I don't know what the price difference is in the two saws nowadays, but, they are supposed to cost less then the Dewalt. Does anyone know the price difference today, if you do, how much is it?

Len

Edited by Lucky2

My biggest concern with Delta is the problems with the availability of parts.  It may or may not be better/more stable now, I'm not sure.  For peace of mind, I would pay the extra 100 to ensure I have a saw that I can get parts for when I need them.  If you go with Delta, and have no issues, you just won the gamble and save 100.  If it dies, and you can't get a part that is unique to this saw, you lose $350.

Edited by hotshot

As others have said, they are very similar.   When Delta returned to the scrollsaw market, a few years back, they introduced the 40-690 model, which by most accounts, was a gray clone of the Dewalt, but at a somewhat cheaper price.   My memory may be a bit fuzzy on the details and the timing, but at the time, I believe Delta and Dewalt were both under the same corporate parent.  There was a lot of speculation about why the company would offer two saws that were virtually identical, one at a lower price.  It even was believed that the Dewalt was going to be phased out and replaced with the Delta.  Since then, Delta and Dewalt have parted corporate company and the problems with Delta parts availability came to fore.  Delta has since replaced the 40-690 with the current model 40-694. 

The practical differences from the Dewalt are that the Delta 40-694 has an integral system for holding the top arm up, while the Dewalt requires an aftermarket device to accomplish the same task.  I don't know anything about the lower quality parts issue, but I do have the same concerns as Hotshot about Delta's inability or unwillingness to support their machines, long term.  Given a choice between the two, I would recommend the Dewalt.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

To begin, the price difference is $150, per Amazon, and that is why I am asking the question.  However, if they are not identical, then the money is much less of a factor.  I did search for the WOOD article and cannot find it anywhere.  I keep seeing reviews that claim that the two are the same and use interchangeable parts. Not sure who the corporate parent is but it was Black and Decker for both companies recently.

I do like the much longer warranty (assuming Delta stands behind it) and I like the arm action on the Delta.  And the $150.  I guess I am hoping to run across somebody who has both in their shop or has used them both and can help explain any other differences.  Or what parts are less expensive on the Delta.  Some parts would be critical and others might not be. I hope to do this only once so am trying to do it correctly.

To anyone looking at Delta brand products I will start by telling you I have a Delta joiner, table saw, compound miter saw. and drill press.   I also owned a Delta P-20 scroll saw.   I will also tell you that I will never buy another Delta tool.   Through corporate acquisitions the Delta brand has been greatly diminished. Through the recommendations of bean counters they have lowered the value of the Delta brand to an all time low.   If you want a scroll saw from a brand that you can depend on being able to get support and replacement parts for I would suggest looking elsewhere. JMHO    

I just went through the same debate between the Delta 40-964 and the DeWalt 788.  I decided upon the Dewalt based upon what I read on this web site and others.  The saw is fantastic!  I just (2-3 weeks ago) purchased it from Grizzly Tool for $499 (delivered $523.94), but it came with the stand and a light, thanks to "Pro Scroller" (he pointed the sale out to me) in another post.  The stand and light have to be worth at least $100 to $125, so the price difference isn't so great.  I am happy with my choice.  I believe that Grizzly is still running the same sale.

I have been reading about how they are now made by the same manufacturer and that you even have to get the Delta serviced at the DeWalt service center.  But are there any  significant differences that would make one preferable?

I see that the Delta has a five year warranty where the DeWalt is 90 days and the Delta has a catch so that when you raise the bar, it stays.   I know you can add that as an accessory on the 788 so there are at least two advantages to the Delta and there is about $150 difference in price.  Anything else I should know before I get the wife to free up some money?

Thanks for your help.  I am using an old two-speed Delta that came off Craig's List for $40 and wanting very much to improve my equipment.

well a scroll saw whether expensive or low price will give you lots of quality time.the best I've tried so far has been the dw788 type 1 & 2

Edited by amazingkevin

There are a couple aftermarket arm lifts that are made to fit the Dewalt.  The Jim Dandy Easy Lift uses a bracket and spring, mounted in existing hardware holes in the saw, to apply enough tension to hold the top arm up by itself.  I had one on my Dewalt.  The design is relatively simple, easy to install and it works well.  They cost in the $20-$25 range.

The Scroll Saw Lifter uses a slightly different concept, with a bracket, latch and pin that hold the arm up.  I've never seen one in person.  They retail for around $30.  

I've never looked closely at the Delta system, so I'm not familiar with how it works. 

Go here:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-40694-variable-speed-scroll-saw-parts-c-3275_3505_418339.html

to see parts that are available for the 40-694.

Go here:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/dewalt-dw788-type-scroll-saw-parts-c-1009_2631_207564.html

to see parts that are available for the 788.

I have the 40-690 which is the 788 clone.  As you look at 788 parts list click on some of the part pictures, at the bottom of the picture page you will see that most of the parts are compatible with the 40-690.  (You can also look at 40-690 parts list at ereplacementparts and find that most of those parts are compatible with the 788.)  The part numbers on the 694 are different than the 690/788.  Some posts on various sites indicate that some of the parts (bearings/sleeves) fit all three. 

Larry

Was sitting at my computer, wondering what to do about the saw, and Rockler sent me a flyer with an advertisement for the 788 with stand for $499 including free shipping.  Ordered it.  Should be sawing at a much higher level in a few days.

Thanks for the comments and information.

Randy,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I have spent countless hours on YouTube and the forums, trying to learn and am much more comfortable now than I was a couple of months ago.

Just got the notice that my saw has been shipped.  I'm anxious to try it out and see the benefits of a better saw.