Too cold in the garage

Denny Knappen

Well Denny, not much warmer today here in East TN is it - matter of fact - think it may be a tad bit colder.  Looking forward to the warmup later in the week.  Upper 50's will be like a heat wave won't it! 1:30 in the afternoon now and my watch says its 23 degrees outside. Think that's suppose to be about the high for the day.  Haven't been out to the shop, but its in the garage area but is a separate walled in bay with the central heat and air piped in there so should be decent in there still.  Maybe I should get motivated and go do some scrolling work for a bit since I have been MIA in the shop for a couple of weeks now.  Sounds like another good reason for you to take one of your saws down to the store.  ;)

Dick/heppnerguy - sorry for the loss of your friend's mother.  Prayers for all.

The high in my part of central NC reached 27 today with a 16 wind chill.  The 8" of snow we had yesterday helped that.  Tonight they are predicting 0 or lower.  My shop heater keeps it in the upper 40's in this weather.  If I crank it up and wait 3-4 hours it will reach 60 but the electric meter spins.  When it gets this cold I find other things in the house to do. 

So happy I put my shop in the basement.  Took some effort to seal it from dust escaping, but while I was at it, I added insulation to sound proof it.  Wife can barely hear the machines running while she is in the kitchen above me.  And its so quiet, I can scroll, Sand, and run my dust collector and Air filtration while she sleeps on the second floor.  Any dust that escapes, is on my person when I leave the shop, and I make it a habit to use insure that I get 90% of that off of me.  Been cold here in Michigan, (in the single digits) for the last week or so.

In the house we moved from, I had my shop in the basement with radiant heated floors. When we moved, we decided to build a separate building for the shop thinking it would be cleaner and we could use the space in the basement. That was all fine and dandy but one thing is missing... In the basement, I could hear everything going on upstairs, the kids playing and such. Now, I hear nothing in the house and really miss the sounds of the kids. So, I don't spend as much time in the shop unless one of the kids go with me.

Bryan

I have several projects to cut and the garage temperature is 41 degrees.  For the first time ever, I brought the EX21 inside to do the cutting. I will have some clean up, but at least warm.

high 60's this week ,it's comfortable but cold .i'm so happy my shops coming to life with some sort of organization ,I've been out of wack for years but the doc found the problem so the dw788 is about to get a work out soon.

I went to work in my shop today to make a couple of plaques to send to our friend who lost her mother and her dad. It was 10 degrees when I fired up my wood stove and I ended up having to open the shop door for awhile because after about an hour my shop  hit 87 degrees. A tad too hot. I love my little wood stove..

Dick

heppnerguy

It's been in the single digits here in NW Kansas for the last ten days, now we're gettin' a warm up in the 50's. My shop is heated, & I keep it about 70. I'd like to get to the shop, & soon! I had major back surgery the 8th of December. This sittin' & layin' around ain't for me! I get on here, & see what everybody is up to, if I can throw out some help. Hopefully I'll get released soon to start back in the shop.

It's interesting to hear from members from different parts of the country and world.   Weather seems to be a good topic of conversation especially when we have extremes.   It has been cold ( single digits) for us here in West Michigan for the past several days although it was 18 yesterday and will be in the 20's today.   Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to the 40's with rain.   I just don't like getting rain here at this time of the year.  Rain on top of snow and ice can create some bad conditions to deal with. 

We were at -36 degrees Saturday morning here in Montana. I think our weekly forecast has us above 0 for the high 3 days this week. My shop is in our attached garage. It doesn't get much below 20 in there, but I also don't have anything other than a couple of milk house heaters to warm it up. They'll get it to around 30 and if I'm working and have tools running it'll creep up to 40, which is good enough for me. But when it's this cold it takes awhile to get it that warm, so I'm working on several projects in the house.  

I am with you Jay, would swap for warmer temps just to be outside. Temperature here today is only -16©.  Most of last week was -25 to -32, not counting the windchill. Scroll saw thankfully in the basement.  Hubby doesn't complain about the noise - his guitars and amps get turned up, and I am the the one doing the dusting!!

Edited by barb.j.enders