Lighthouse Pattern

NiTay614

I am working on the lighthouse pattern designed by Travis. I am getting close to the actual lighthouse, and I found an issue with the pattern. The fence in the upper right portion their is an area that if I cut it as printed, will fall out. I believe this is known as an ISLAND. I see options as to how I can avoid this, but I am asking for the advice of others.

Thanks.

Nita Taylor :huh:

I have managed to get down to the last two cuts, and seeing that I am using a reverse tooth blade, I am feeling sort of "SEA SICK." I knew from the start that I was stepping way outside my comfort level, but I accepted the challenge. I purchased the plywood forthis project on line and it incured some damage in the shipment process. I am not real sure if the chipping in the fence area is the result of the shipping damage. I can tell you that I can feel the increasing population of GRAY HAIR as I make these delicate cuts. Is there a way to fix the chips, or do I just leave them alone? The wood is so fragil in this area. :?:?:

LOL...yah, the lighthouse is a challenging pattern to cut. I'm glad you tackled it, though. Just think of the oohs and ahhs when you get it done. Those delicate areas really impress the heck out of people.

As far as chipping, I'm not sure if you can do much about that. Since the pattern is very organic/stylized, you might be able to cut those sections out without anybody being the wiser. You might be able to take a small file and round the chip-outs too.

If a piece broke, I often just superglue it back in place (from the back). Once you spray on your finish, you won't be able to see the glue line, nor the break.

I chose not to make any correction to the chips. They sort of add character. In the beacon area a piece broke and I for the life of me cannot figure out where it came from. I learned a lot cutting this and that's what matters. I am extremely pleased with it considering I am new to this art. I just wish they would invent a self threading scroll saw blade. My knees are getting one heck of a work out! I posted a picture. You did a fantastic job on the pattern.