Photo puzzle wood

rjweb

Good afternoon,

I am cutting a photo puzzle, 5 x7, 140 pieces, yes I know I must be nuts, the puzzle pieces are small and I am using 1/4 inch poplar, finding some of the small areas are weak, what wood should I be using, I want these to last, thx RJ

i've done several dollar bill puzzles with 61 pieces in 1/4" and 1/8" dog puzzles,8" x 10"- i do in 3/4" plywood and are self standing.sounds like your on the right track.

Edited by amazingkevin

Thx for all the good advise, I know what to use and cut down the number of pieces in the puzzles. I know a lot of you cut without a pattern, I am not that good at it yet, and I am using the patterns, Steve good patterns. Is there a site where I can generate a puzzle pattern by the number of pieces and size, thx again, RJ

Cutting without a pattern is a lot easier then you think.  I talked my self out of cutting puzzles for years until I made up my mind to "waste" a couple pictures.  Look at the picture and start cutting along the edged of objects.  You will get the hang of it very quickly.  An you know those pictures I thought I would waste.  They made perfect puzzles.

I agree with Scott above. Cutting puzzles freehand is easier, and uses less waste and time. My icon is a picture of my first ever jigsaw puzzle. I started with a piece of waste 1/4" Baltic birch plywood. I practiced cutting puzzle pieces, and after about ten or twelve pieces, I felt I was ready to cut my puzzle.

post-23695-0-97786800-1484084571_thumb.jpeg

post-23695-0-06189100-1484084613_thumb.jpeg

I agree with Scott and Dan. As you cut you will find it easier to freehand cut the pieces. Many puzzlemakers will cut figurals based on the shapes of some images. If you search these scroll saw sites you will see some amazing puzzles. If you are just getting started, glue a Christmas card to a piece of 1/4" BB ply and cuts some pieces freehand. Then do some more following and outline of a shape on the card and add the tabs of the puzzle piece. It gets fun.Enjoy.