Scrollsaw Help

Lockhart_125

Good Morning, Just found your site. I bought a very nice scrollsaw a few years ago after watching the smooth demonstator! Looked easy of course. Long story short had wrist surgery so it has been sitting. I would love to find someone that would give me lessons. Do you know of anyone located near Hermiston, OR or anyone in the state of Oregon?

Hopefully someone near you can show you some of the ropes. If not, I suggest you just jump in and give it a go. Its much easier than you think and produces really impressive results.

First grab some good quality plywood. You'll want some 1/4" Baltic Birch to start. You can find it at a cabinet supply shop, or online such as Sloans Workshop or Wood Deals Online. Sometimes craft stores or hobby shops have them (although rather expensive). The stuff they sell at the lumber store isn't very good, so stay away from that.

You'll also need quality scroll saw blades. Again, the stuff at the hardware stores isn't very good. They're not intended for intricate/hobby scrolling. Besides, they're kinda expensive at the hardware store. You can buy blades online. The big 3 blade manufacturers are Flying Dutchman, Pegas, and Olson. A lot of folks buy from Mike's Workshop.

Other than that, you can watch this series of videos. It gives you a really good feel for cutting a portrait style pattern. If you have any questions, please ask. Everybody here is very helpful and friendly. Have fun! :thumbs: