Crafts shows

Dave M

One reason I am trying to pick up the hobby is to make additional money through craft shows.

For those of you that attend them, how much of and what type of inventory should I bring? Do puzzles do better than plaques or would a mixture be better? I would think a mixture would be best but would like to hear from veterans of shows.

Also any tips you could provide would be appreciated.

My daughter thinks I should also try flea markets. What thoughts have you got about those? Thanks in advance for any ideas/tips.

Dave

Dave,

I do a few shows every year and everyone is different.

Check out some shows and see what is selling and ask questions. Lots of questions.

I only do craft show because almost everyone showing up is looking for crafts. At a flea market a few of the people showing up are looking for crafts. It is a good way and a cheaper way to learn about people and how to set up your booth. You should do a dry run before your first show. Make a chect list of everything you need and start putting things in a tote. Money bag, plastic bags. change, business cards,cords, price tags,tape.note book. Keep track of what you sell.

I sent you some info. You must get them into your booth before you can sell them anything so the hardest thing is getting them into your booth.

Email me if you need any more help.

I could go on and on. :lol:

Michael

I wouldn't do flea markets. That crowd is looking for deals, not handcrafted art.

You can try puzzles. Freestanding puzzles would work the best. Especially if they're of dog breeds.

Some more ideas that might sell well: bowls, baskets, trivets, boxes, a few portraits (to get custom work), word art, desk name-plates with clever sayings, candle holders, napkin/paper towel holders.

Dave I would stay away from flea markets. Most people will try to talk you down in price. Craft shows are the place to be. I would never let a customer beat me down on price. You really should keep the price the same on each product you sell. I do offer free shipping if I dont have the product right there for them. I sell only free standing puzzles and It is almost impossible to have every single type that I make on hand. A lot of my sales are orders that I have to make after the show. I mainly hit the low cost craft show ($50.00-$100.00 for a space). My average sales at a show are only $500.00. I could have more in sales if I sold a variety of items.

Dave I do about 9 shows a year, most shows I do are $25-$60 for a space, my average cost for space is $35. Stay away, from flea markets, unless it is craft and flea market combined, most shows I do are craft , but there are people that sell retail items. It is best to have a variety of items, don't forget to have some cheaper items also, like ornaments, key chains, book marks, etc. It is really hard to say what sells the best, pending on what area you are in. The area I'am in portraits don't sell well, and some areas they do, it all depends what people are looking for. My years in doing shows, I found that there are a lot of lookers, just walk by with there nose in the air, and don't pay attention. Once you get people in your booth,you have to put some sales tactics in use. Like was mentioned business cards, bags, pens, paper, and other things that were mentioned. I always believe in a variety of items, although you may not have everything, which is almost impossiable to have, just keep ears open and take notes, that way you learn. I really find it hard that people do a really high volume of sales, the most I ever done was $300, which I considered a good day, although some shows I barely made table money back. Don't let it get you down if you have a bad day. Hope all this helps. Ps if you want to see the items I sell go to Http://photobucket.com/scroller625, there you can get an idea. Edward

All good advice so far. In case you have not noticed, stay away from flea markets unless you are willing to make and sell your stuff at flea market/yard sale prices. That said, I have done shows that I have not gotten my fees back & shows that were over $1500 in sales (2-3 shows). A wide variety is nice so that you may have something for everyone. I try to have a lot of items under $20 and a few from $20-$100. I have some of my personal portraits on display to let people see that I do custom portrait work. Most definitely have business cards to hand out. Acknowledge people by at least saying hi, you do not have to jump up and be right on their heels but let them know that you are friendly. I have solid color covers on my tables that come to the floor to hide my totes under the tables and that keeps a neater looking both. Mine are dark blue and black which gives a good contrast to the color of my products. I have found that if you have a couple of brain teaser type puzzles you can gather a crowd trying to figure them out. Always have someone at your booth and never leave early even if you are not selling anything. These are some things that I have learned that put a few dollars in my pocket. Steve

Don't read a book while in your booth. It drives me nuts when I see a vendor is reading a book (It happens more than you'd think). They obviously are not interested in my business. I usually walk on by.

There's an old joke; the two best sellers at a craft show are Jesus and Elvis. It makes me laugh, but its not too far from the truth. :lol::eye:

thumb_Christ_2.jpgthumb_elvis.jpg

Don't read a book while in your booth. It drives me nuts when I see a vendor is reading a book (It happens more than you'd think). They obviously are not interested in my business. I usually walk on by.

There's an old joke; the two best sellers at a craft show are Jesus and Elvis. It makes me laugh, but its not too far from the truth. :lol::eye:

thumb_Christ_2.jpgthumb_elvis.jpg

Funny that these are good sellers for you as these are ones that I have not sold. My best sellers are wildlife & John Wayne. As for religious pieces, crosses are my best sellers. Steve

I agree with the advice concerning flee markets. Most people want something for nothing. Craft shows are all different. I Have yet to step into this arena, but it is what I am considering. I did however, disply my handcraft through consignment shops. They tend to want a large percentage of the profit. I found that I had to ver price my merchandise in order to make a profit. I also found that my items were stolen and treated with out regard.

Wow thanks for all the input, very helpful at this time. I will definitely have more questions in the future. I went to one of the bigger shows in our area today and only saw one scroller and he was selling intarsia only. I didn't see any fretwork at all, maybe that's the direction I'll head. I also need to check out some of the smaller shows in the area but this is one of the biggest and happens 4 times a year. We checked out the cost of spaces and they are 3-4 times higher than those you guys describe, for a 10x10 foot space, power and display units are extra.

Again thanks for the input.

Wow thanks for all the input, very helpful at this time. I will definitely have more questions in the future. I went to one of the bigger shows in our area today and only saw one scroller and he was selling intarsia only. I didn't see any fretwork at all, maybe that's the direction I'll head. I also need to check out some of the smaller shows in the area but this is one of the biggest and happens 4 times a year. We checked out the cost of spaces and they are 3-4 times higher than those you guys describe, for a 10x10 foot space, power and display units are extra.

Dave, I have one show that I do that is $125 for an 8x10 space. Good shows will cost a good fee. You may want to try some smaller shows first to get your feet wet. You will learn from other crafters about other shows and if anyone is selling the same type of product as you. It is a lot of trial and error but always look for better ways to set up & display. Remember an attractive and neat booth will draw more people than a cluttered booth will. Have some things up at eye level that will catch peoples attention. Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that a lot of those that have offered input have put a thumbs down to the flea market arena. And some of there comments are right on track flea marketers are looking for bargains and the better the bargain the more likely they are to become buyers.

However that said I have been at a local flea market for three years now and have found it a good place to jump in and get your feet wet at a cost that doesn't break the bank. Recently my partner and I added a scroll saw to our booth so the customers have a better idea of the process of the art which provides them a little more appreciation for our form of art work. Having the saw in the booth also allows us to provide on site name plaques and other forms of simpler art which acts as a drawing tool into the booth.

Pa Pa Oklahoma City