Blade selection

UncleApple

Yes, different blades are designed for different applications.  The relative difference in how they cut for you will be subjective, because there is some overlap.  The manufacturer's descriptions of the blades, usually found on the supplier's website, will give you at least a brief description of the preferred uses for each specific blade.  Skip tooth and Polar are kind of synonymous.  These blades are preferred for cutting dense material and/or thick material or some man made materials, because they are designed to clear chips from the kerf, which reduces heat build up and increases cutting efficiency.  There may be some minor sacrifice in smoothness of cut, a tendency to tear out a little more on the bottom and not all sizes are available in a skip tooth configuration.

Most manufacturers offer specialty blades for cutting things like puzzles or thin metals.  You already are familiar with spiral blades.  For general fretwork scrolling, reverse tooth blades are pretty much the standard, but there are several types to go with several sizes and TPI counts.  It can seem a little overwhelming, but most folks settle on a few types and sizes that cover most of their needs.  Takes some trial & error and each person develops their own preferences, over time.  Feel free to post questions here.  You will get plenty of response and even though there won't always be a consensus, it is helpful.

Good luck and have fun making sawdust!

Calling upon the vast expertise of the group!  I use FD-SR blades for everything.  My attempts to use spiral blades left me wondering why I bought them.  My question...are there reasons why I should consider other blade-types or brands?  Like Polar or Skip-tooth?  Advantages?

Thanks

My experience with the #5 FD spiral blades left me with the same question in my mind. The cut looked like I used a chain saw , very ragged, and I haven't tried them again!

Like they told me you have to try them to see what you like. It also depends on what your cutting, thick or thin. The last blades I bought was some Pegas Modified Geometry Blades. These are great for cutting thick woods like 3/4". I cut a lot of stand up puzzles and they are all thick wood. I have all kinds of blades and some of them I will never use. I know this really want help you a lot but it's the best I can do.

my first thought is what are you cuttin'? That's where you need to start. Every blade has it's own purpose. Skip tooth blades, reverse tooth blades, ultra blades, etc., come in all sizes for every purpose. As you've found out, spiral blades take some practice & have their place as well. My advice would be to go to wooden teddy bear site & get one of the variety packs they offer. It has different sizes of blades in it, & you can try them all on your project. Then you can decide what blades you like the best, & go from there. 

Remember, fretwork uses smaller blades than thicker material. And the smaller the blade, the less tension, the bigger the blade, the more tension. Keep practicin', & enjoy it! God bless!

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

Calling upon the vast expertise of the group!  I use FD-SR blades for everything.  My attempts to use spiral blades left me wondering why I bought them.  My question...are there reasons why I should consider other blade-types or brands?  Like Polar or Skip-tooth?  Advantages?

Thanks

I've often wondered that myself.but trial and error it worked out for me.There's been a lot of talk about blades here since i joined in the early 2000's.Any question you have will get the best answers here.Keep asking all you like .I've never seen one we couldn't answer more way than not.