has anyone make the wooden geared clocks - where do you get the brass tubing

Bpardue

I have been working on a wooden gear clock for over a year. I ordered the plans from Germany. www.Holtzmechanik.de. Plans were in metric and on A4 size paper so things got a little confusing with sizes. Eventually went with 1/4" rods and found tubes at True Value. Recently saw that Wood Crafters also has tubes. I have also purchased from P&S with good results. Cutting gears was not too bad but I would recommend using the scroll saw sanding strips for fine finish of gears. The mechanical works were not too bad but getting the weights right and making the fulcrum to work properly is an on going issue. Eventually replaced the fulcrum with a metal one I found on the web from Howard Miller (Grandfather Clock people) the sprocket (clutch) has broken several times because of the weight (16lbs.) Finally cut 1/8" brass sheet to size and fixed that problem. I have had this clock work for 6 hours (25 hour clock) but still fine tuning. I have to walk away and come back to it every few days. This is the Korona Clock.

post-30052-0-36545800-1486132777_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to the wooden gear clock I made a few years ago. http://www.scrollsaw...en +gear +clock

I must have posted 2 or 3 times because I thought it would be fun to kind of document the process. I'm sure I got the needed supplies locally at Ace or a craft store.

Once set up mine ran perfectly for a couple months. Then I went on a extended vacation (4 weeks) when I returned I couldn't get it to run again?!?!? I've never taken the time to go back and really try and sort out what happened. But it's on my bucket list......

Good luck and keep us posted!

I have built three clocks for the magazine. I buy all of my parts from MCMaster Carr. Very fast delivery. One suggestion do not use brass on brass where there are heavy loads. I provided a hardware kit for the clock featured in SSWWC issue 51 Summer 2013. with a brass main shaft I have changed that to a steel shaft.

Mcmaster has brass tubing that is meant to slip over a shaft with just the right fit.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

munzieb that is a beautiful clock!

Edited by Rolf