Finish for my Napkin Holders?

Sam777

Hello Group,

I have been busy designing and cutting these Personalized napkin holders.

They are: 1 for my wife and 3 for close friends.

I chose not to put backers. Actually I have never used backers :) This was too much work as it is. I spent about 2 hours just for cutting each pair of sides. I was going slow.

I stacked cut each pair of panels with FDUR #1. Remember the problem I was having with blades bending backward. I was working on these :)

Now I am done with cutting, I am not sure how to finish them. I tried a few sample scrap pieces with different stains & just oils. I think I like the finished of red Mahogany.

Would you please throw some advice my way?

I appreciate the help

Thank you

post-28446-0-66824300-1486258031_thumb.jpgpost-28446-0-61678100-1486258038_thumb.jpgpost-28446-0-10034500-1486258045_thumb.jpgpost-28446-0-17150300-1486258051_thumb.jpgpost-28446-0-42173700-1486258058_thumb.jpg

Hey Sam, that is some outstanding work!

Something to consider for the future. If you are looking for a nice wood tone finish, use a nice hardwood. I think your napkin holders would look good using mahogany or walnut or Sapele. With a soaking in a boiled linseed oil/mineral spirits mix to bring out the natural color and grain of the wood, then a top coat of your choice. They would look fantastic!

Hi, Sam,

Beautiful work!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so, if you like the

Red Mahogany, that should be fine.

My preference would probably be Gunstock or Cherry stain

so it isn't quite as dark as the Red Mahogany.

With other people's suggestions to use contrasting colors,

now that they are cut, you will probably have to wood-burn

areas to stop one color from bleeding into the other area.

I hope to see what your final decision is.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Nicely designed and very well cut Sam. Being you used a plywood my choice wood be to air brush them white (seal wood prior to painting). And maybe emphasize the letters with a different colour (sealing with a clear polyurethane). If these were cut out of a hardwood such as walnut or etc. I would then finish them with a rub on polyurethane.

post-20386-0-30274600-1486266617_thumb.jpeg

post-20386-0-32369000-1486267862_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Ron Johnson

Nicely designed and very well cut Sam. Being you used a plywood my choice wood be to air brush them white (seal wood prior to painting). And maybe emphasize the letters with a different colour (sealing with a clear polyurethane). If these were cut out of a hardwood such as walnut or etc. I would then finish them with a rub on polyurethane.

Good one Ron!

Hello Group,

I have been busy designing and cutting these Personalized napkin holders.

They are: 1 for my wife and 3 for close friends.

I chose not to put backers. Actually I have never used backers :) This was too much work as it is. I spent about 2 hours just for cutting each pair of sides. I was going slow.

I stacked cut each pair of panels with FDUR #1. Remember the problem I was having with blades bending backward. I was working on these :)

Now I am done with cutting, I am not sure how to finish them. I tried a few sample scrap pieces with different stains & just oils. I think I like the finished of red Mahogany.

Would you please throw some advice my way?

I appreciate the help

Thank you

attachicon.gifP1220278.JPGattachicon.gifP1220279.JPGattachicon.gifP1220280.JPGattachicon.gifP1220281.JPGattachicon.gifP1220282.JPG

Love your creativity,i'll bet your in demand!

Really great detail cuttings! White would be a great color also. I would first shellac first to smooth down the grain and paint and then consider lacquer. The smoothness will let the napkins slide out easier. Tung oil is also good.

I made a few out of 1/2 inch oak from a scroller design a while back. Backers were a pain since I had to route out the material to make it flush. Used Shellac and Lacquer for finish.

post-30052-0-34106200-1486304254_thumb.jpg

Very nice job on the cutting.   I don't know what to suggest about the finish though.   The problem with you picking out the finish is it may be what you like but maybe not the recipient.   I think I might ask them what they would like.   I prefer using solid wood for napkin holders and red oak in my favorite.   One of the issues I see using plywood is no matter how you finish the edges you can always tell it is plywood but that's just me. LOL    

Really great detail cuttings! White would be a great color also. I would first shellac first to smooth down the grain and paint and then consider lacquer. The smoothness will let the napkins slide out easier. Tung oil is also good.

I made a few out of 1/2 inch oak from a scroller design a while back. Backers were a pain since I had to route out the material to make it flush. Used Shellac and Lacquer for finish.

Just BEAUTIFUL, design and cutting.

Due to the fact that these designs come out with very thin, I didn't think I can make all this cutting with oak without breaking many of them.

I agree with you about the lack of smoothness for the napkin to slide easily. Next time I will use backers like you did.

Did you recess the backer inside the frame? Very nice :)

Thank you for the comments

Sam

Very nice job on the cutting.   I don't know what to suggest about the finish though.   The problem with you picking out the finish is it may be what you like but maybe not the recipient.   I think I might ask them what they would like.   I prefer using solid wood for napkin holders and red oak in my favorite.   One of the issues I see using plywood is no matter how you finish the edges you can always tell it is plywood but that's just me. LOL    

Al,

I agree. The edges reduce the richness of the piece. I would like to use solid wood but the thin sections of this design may not like the 1/2 solid oak.

Next time I will have to use 1/2 oak.

Thank you for the comments

Sam