Miter blade or finishing blade.

bronx

Hi all

My question is, is there a difference between a miter blade and a finishing blade...?

I'm looking to make some miter cuts on a dewalt chop saw. I'm looking to purchase a miter blade to cut picture frames and boxes at a 45 degree cuts. I just can't seem to local the miter blades. I was told that a high count finishing blade is the same thing. 

Before I go out and spend $80 bucks a blade I wanna make sure i'm getting the right blade for the job.

Thanks in advance for reading my request.

Thx  bronx

I do most of my miter work on a table saw (Shopsmith). I make quite a few picture frames. I have a Milwaukee chop saw but have never taken time to make zc inserts or to really 'tune it' up. I don't think there is any question that the better the blade, (regardless of the brand or type of saw) the better the results. It's the blade that does the work.

I like Forrest and Freud. For a chopsaw I'd look at the Forrest Chopmaster and the Freud Model: LU79R012.

Just my 2¢.

To try and  answer your question. A finishing blade has 80 teeth on it. A good combination blade of 60 teeth will give you a great smooth cut and can  be used for other things. I keep a 40 tooth on my chop saw, good general blade and works very well for me. I also cut miters for frames on my chop saw, but I cut them all from one side of the blade. I also have a good miter guage for my table saw that works very well. The key is to make sure everything is adjusted and tuned properly. I hope this helps answer your question. The blades I use in my shop, Freud and Forrest II. 

I have a 80 tooth Freud blade on me mitre saw, but I haven't used it in years. I cut all my frame on the table saw. I use a dedicated sled tuned exactly at 45°. The most important factors in making tight fitting frames is accurate 45° cuts and making sure each opposing frame members are exactly the same lenght. So make sure you use stops.

Hi all

My question is, is there a difference between a miter blade and a finishing blade...?

I'm looking to make some miter cuts on a dewalt chop saw. I'm looking to purchase a miter blade to cut picture frames and boxes at a 45 degree cuts. I just can't seem to local the miter blades. I was told that a high count finishing blade is the same thing. 

Before I go out and spend $80 bucks a blade I wanna make sure i'm getting the right blade for the job.

Thanks in advance for reading my request.

Thx  bronx

Had 3 but only 2 now chop saws,one cuts a 45 either left or right.no idea why they all don't do this .Yeah the 0 tooth does good for me.Not sure about miter blade but finishing blades is splinter free.

Most blade manufacturers will list the types of saws and the types of cuts that the particular blade in question is recommended for, right on the packaging.  Typically a high tooth count blade provides the cleanest cross cut.  Blades recommended for compound miter saws, radial arm saws also typically have a very low or even negative tooth rake angle.  This isn't something that you will see specified on the product packaging, but it should be information that is available on the manufacturer's web site.  I have a 10" RAS and I keep a Freud 80 tooth cross cut blade on it.  My CMS is 12" and has a Freud 96 tooth blade.  These saws are used only for cross-cutting and angle/bevel cutting, so I can keep dedicated blades for these tasks on them at all times.

I agree that a good quality sharp fine toothed blade and a properly adjusted or tuned miter gauge is key to cutting good miters.   Making sure the matching pieces are cut equal length is also very important.   A couple more things I have learned is holding the piece against the fence firmly and  trying not to cut to fast.   Freud and Forester both make some excellent blades and there are probably other good quality blades available.  

Edited by stoney

Ahhh man you guys are awesome. Thanks to you guys for taking time out of your busy day to get me on the right track in making these miter cuts.

Here is the problem that I failed to mention in my original post. I'm making a box, my first box. it's 7in high and a foot wide. I think I'm stuck with my chop saw tilted at a 45%. So my understanding is to get the most out of this cut I will have to use a miter blade. I can't seem to find one that states "miter blade". I found many that state "finishing blade" that "fits" chop saws which I have. 

I will try an 80 tooth finishing blade. From what i'm reading from the responses I need one anyway.

Thanks for your very informed responses. You guys are the best.

Ciao

Cliff

a finishing blade,which is a blade of high tooth count and usually high ATB, is the type of a blade.

miter saw blades generally refer have a lower hook angle and can be negative hook. usually the lower negative hook blades are for sliding compound miter saws and RAS.

higher hook angle has a more aggressive cut- used on table saws generally.

however, I have great results with an 80 tooth ATB diablo on my MS.

the one drawback to  high ATB is they dull quicker.

it can get pretty complicated. :)