Stack cutting

NiTay614

Very simple. Theoreticly. lol

But, it takes a little practice to get the bottom piece cut to match the top. Under and over cutting are the challenge unless your blade is perfectly square to the saw table. I suggest trying 2 or 3 layers first. I can stack 6 quarter inch layers...but it took a good bit of practice.

IMG_9494.jpg

Say your pattern fits nicely on a 12"x12" piece of wood. But, it has 300 inside cuts and you would like one for Mom and Aunt Betty and you dont want to cut 900 inside cuts. :scared:

After you place your pattern on the top piece and stacked your other layers of wood, clamp it together ..tape works too. Be sure the wood grain direction is what you like, I've overlooked that a few times and now I have to re-cut a bunch of stuff because the grain direction is the wrong way... :curse:

Keeping things nice and square is the key to the whole process.

Now, in a few of the larger inside cuts of your pattern (usually one in every corner and a few in the middle) drill some small holes for finish nails, be sure the holes are not wider than the nail and make sure you drill the holes nice and square (straight), because you will be sawing around them eventually. Nail them together, but be sure they dont stick out the bottom, naturally, its ok if they stick out the top as long as they clear the top blade clamp. Now you should have a chunk of wood. :)

Now your ready to drill all the blade entry holes and start cutting all the inside cuts, leaving the nails in place untill last. If your doing a piece that has an outside profile, like the one I have shown, I like to do that first...but its a matter of preference, Just as long as you keep the stack fastened till the end. When cutting the last nail out, I like to secure the stack with a few pieces of masking tape to ensure the stack doesn't pivot on the last nail.

IMG_9495.jpg

Once you cut the last nail out and unfold your stack, It's like magic! :cool:

I hope this is clear and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Chris

Very good discription and very well explained. I have been stack cutting two word art projects to try this method. So far everything is going well, :scared: except when the saw dust collects under the tape. I use my make ready knife and remove some of the tape to allow the saw dust to fly away. :) I was making it harder to comprehend by virtue of what I had found on the internet, which in terms of scrolling, made no sense. Thanks guys! :thumbs:

From what you said on your last post, I understand that you are using the clear packing tape on top of your patterns. I used to use that type of tape and had the same problem with the dust getting under the tape, until I read about putting the tape on the wood first than attach the pattern to the tape. By doing this you will eleminate the dust problem and if you have a glare problem that is eleminated also. I have since started using blue painters tape as it will lubricate the blade just as well and for me it doesnt leave a residue like the clear tape seems to. This is just my opinion for what its worth, hope it will help you.

Ervin

I have found that keeping the stack at about 3/4-1" is the most effective. This takes into consideration time and blade life. Depending on what I am cutting, I will use the brad nailer in waste space making sure to have a metal surface underneath as this will clinch the nails (an old round saw blade works great) or I will wrap the stack with blue tape and then apply the pattern with no nails.

I try to keep my stacks 3/4 - 1" . I used to use a brad nail in the waste areas, now I just hot glue the stacks together. I clamp the pieces like I want them then hot glue around the edges, Just several spots along each edge is all thats needed. The glue stays great and keeps the wood from moving, and when finished I just scrape the glue off the egde and seperate the stack. I have stacks that have been glue up for over a year, and are still held tight together by the hot glue.