Difference in spiral blades

djhwoodwerks

DJ , Blades are such a personal choice that it is always hard to say this blade or that blade is better.......I use a lot of the FD new spiral blades.....they are my go to spiral blade when doing portraits .......I find that they are easier to control.....The great thing about spiral blades is they cut in any direction, The worst thing is they cut in any direction....Control is important !....Don't  know if this helps any or not ,just my two cents.....Steve. :)   

I've never even knew there were three kinds.  I have always use the "New Spiral Blades".  And even though I have purchased several sizes, I use the 3/0 99% of the time.

There is also the "Flat End"  ones that do not really have flat ends.  I would thing the reverse ones would have some reverse teeth? 

Edited by Scrappile

Blades are a personal but you need to try them before that happens. What is perfect for one I a pain for another. I like the flat ends because they seem to not break as often for me. I also like the 3/0?

But only for the really small areas otherwise I like the number one Blades. Bigger ones are too raspy for me. I don't like all the clean up that is left.

I would order a dozen of several kinds and figure it out with trial and error

Dick

heppnerguy

Well, just reading the descriptions on mikesworkshop.com indicates that New Spirals are easier to control and give a cleaner cut.  Sounds good to me and knowing nothing else, I would probably start there and pass on the regular spiral blades.

As for spiral reverse, they have some reverse teeth, which in theory should help minimize tear out on the back side of the wood. 

You left out flat end spirals.  As the name implies, they have ends that are flat, making them easier to get clamped in the saw.

Not all of the varieties come in the full range of sizes, so that may be a determining factor in deciding which one to use.

I don't use a lot of spiral blades, so I can't necessarily make a recommendation on which is best.  I like the flat end spirals, because twisted ends can be a pain to get clamped properly.  However the last ones I ordered were new spirals, because I needed smaller sizes that weren't available in the flat end style.  I'd be interested to hear someone's review of reverse spirals, because the "fuzzies" that are so characteristic of spiral blades are a vexation to scrollers.

If My memory is correct and if I understand what I just looked up:

Spiral Blades came first and are pretty much a flat blade that has been twisted into a spiral.  Pretty much needed to use pliers to un-twist the end to get it to stay in the holders.  hard to control - hard to get into holder but the best there was at the time.

The Flat End Spiral was brought out (The flat end spiral - as stated above is not really flat.  It is close to half spiral and half flat making it easier to get ready to place in the holders.) 

To bring about better control, The New Spiral Blade was developed several years ago and has teeth on both sides of the blade - a flat blade with teeth on both sides and twisted into a spiral.   better control. Still has some twist on the ends. Sometimes I flatten the ends some and sometimes I put them in right out of the package. 

Spiral Reverse is latest design of the spiral. - spiral blades for all around cutting with reverse teeth on the bottom for a close to sand free finish. These just caught my interest.

I use the new spiral.  Have not tried the spiral reverse but will have to give them a try.

Larry

Added after initial posting:  Bill and Jim made their posts as I was putting my thoughts on paper ( I could almost wear out a new spiral in the time it took me to get this post ready.)

Edited by JustLarry

If My memory is correct and if I understand what I just looked up:

Spiral Blades came first and are pretty much a flat blade that has been twisted into a spiral.  Pretty much needed to use pliers to un-twist the end to get it to stay in the holders.  hard to control - hard to get into holder but the best there was at the time.

The Flat End Spiral was brought out (The flat end spiral - as stated above is not really flat.  It is close to half spiral and half flat making it easier to get ready to place in the holders.) 

To bring about better control, The New Spiral Blade was developed several years ago and has teeth on both sides of the blade - a flat blade with teeth on both sides and twisted into a spiral.   better control. Still has some twist on the ends. Sometimes I flatten the ends some and sometimes I put them in right out of the package. 

Spiral Reverse is latest design of the spiral. - spiral blades for all around cutting with reverse teeth on the bottom for a close to sand free finish. These just caught my interest.

I use the new spiral.  Have not tried the spiral reverse but will have to give them a try.

Larry

Added after initial posting:  Bill and Jim made their posts as I was putting my thoughts on paper ( I could almost wear out a new spiral in the time it took me to get this post ready.)

i agree about the spirals now lasting long.Maybe in part it takes a softer steel to spin them into a spiral?