My Hawk Scroll Saw Story

stevan

I've already popped on here and asked some questions about Hawk saw so I thought I would tell my story on how I obtained a used Hawk VS220.

I posted an introduction on January 31, 2017 and also started looking around for scroll saw recommendations. I saw a few Hawks and a lot of Dewalts and some mentions of Craigslist. I was considering the Dewalt 788 but thought I would look on Craigslist and see what was being offered.

There was a Hawk VS220 for sale for $450 about 30 miles from here (and one for $650 in the Cincinnati area). The ad said hardly ever used, like new and comes with over 200 various blades. $450 is about the price of a new Dewalt 788 so my thought was, let's low ball an offer and see if he takes it. I knew that new Hawks were $1100 so what did I have to lose? So I offered $350, cash and I could come pick it up tomorrow.

He took it.

I went to pick it up on Wednesday February 2. I had a chance to talk with "G" the owner who is a very nice, retired school teacher who explained that he didn't really buy it himself, his wife bought it thinking he could start doing scroll work and she could sell it in her little art store at the local mall. Well, he said if the saw had 5 hours on it he would be surprised but it had been setting in the garage ever since it was delivered. Tracking the serial number with Buston revealed that the saw was about 25 years old.

These saws have a few steel parts on the them and they were all pretty old/rusted and needed to be reconditioned and/or replaced. I called Bushton a few times and placed an order on February 2 for the parts that I thought needed to be replaced. I also started a WD-40 reconditioning program on the existing steel parts just in case. Buston notified me yesterday that a partial shipment went out yesterday (partial means something is back ordered. I know at least the lower blade chuck is on backorder.) So we'll see what is there when the package arrives.

I spent the weekend dismantling and cleaning the saw. I feel I really need to recommend Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish if you ever need to polish up some aluminum. The milled pieces look great, almost new. The saw is still partially dismantled waiting for the new parts to arrive. I could put it together but the upper blade holder is held in place by a pin and I have to have the upper arm off so I can hammer the pin in. The reconditioning program worked well and right now I could restore the saw and use the old, reconditioned parts but I will wait on my Buston delivery.

And the irony is not lost on me, I have almost $450 in this saw right now, I've never used it anda Dewalt 788 can be had for $488 on Amazon with free Prime shipping.

So I wait and scheme of home made dust collection devices. Think Scrollnado clone but for a Hawk.

I hope to be up and scrolling almost any day now and I promise to get back with my rookie attempts.

Edited by stevan

I have never run a Dewalt, but I have a ton of time on my Hawk.  I paid full retail for it and have never regretted it.  It is just a really solid tool.  Blade changes are so easy, adjustments are easy, with the result being very clean cuts.  The only thing I've added is a foot switch which is good for the my types of things I use it for.  I am just getting into artful scrolling, almost all of my time on the machine so far has been for my model building. 

Good job on the buy but more importantly I think is the hidden bonus that most of would never start out with and that's you took it apart, refurbished it, and reassembled it, again very cool. 

Enjoy the machine and the craft of scrolling.  Russ

Your story is almost exact to mine.. I purchased mine back in Oct 2016 and went all through it.. then I had some blade breakage issues that turned out to be me putting too much tension on the blades.. While i started sawing back in 2006 and have been through and rebuilt many saws including purchasing several new ones.. I finally found one I liked back in 09 when I bought my Dewalt.. I've rebuilt it once and it needs it again.. so I went for the Hawk as a backup saw.. turns out though.. that I think the Hawk will end up being my main saw with the DeWalt being a back up.. 

BTW... Sorry about the back order on those barrel clamps.. I ordered all they had back in January.. along with some accessories.. The accessories needed to be made so it took a while for my clamps and thumb screws to come in.. I just received my parts today, LOL.. I ordered a few extras barrel clamps so I could set up blades already clamped.. then I can swap in a whole new unit without having to fiddle around with getting the blade changed in the clamp.

I think once you get done with your rebuild you will be quite happy with your purchase.. I was quite surprised how much better mine was compared to my DeWalt.. I felt the same way doing upgrades of different saws throughout the years.. and really thought there wouldn't be anything much better than my DeWalt..

I do have two complaints with my Hawk.. not really complaints but just things I learned to get used to with my other saws.. one is the SPM is slower on the Hawk and it doesn't cut very aggressively ( fast ).. I am learning how to compensate with more aggressive or larger blades..

I'd love to get a new Hawk with the faster SPM and that adjustable blade movement on the lower arm.. Anyone know if that lower arm would work on the older Hawks?  

Also do they have a way to tell how old the saw is? I'd like to know on mine..

Very interesting topic, Thanks for posting

HI 

this sounds like me about 10 years ago. I had a Dewalt 788 and my wifes uncle had a Hegner and I really wanted to get one but at 1500 dollars, no. I found one on Craigslist that was 10 years old and never been used for 500 bucks with everything. I drove for 4 hours to get it, and I have been using that saw ever since and only spent money for the blade holders on it. Good luck and have fun.

Bill 

my friend, you will not regret the time spent getting to know your 220. I bought one on ebay 3 years ago, & it came from tuscon. The proud former owner gave me basically the same story you got, only mine was a little better taken care of, from the sounds of it. I run that saw HARD! Replaced a few parts, until I finally wore it out far enough it was going to be cheaper to trade it off. I bought the BM- 26 Hawk. It's an awesome machine! 

I've been scrolling over 20 years now, I own 5 saws. All different breeds. The Hawk is my work horse. I use a couple of the others for other things. But, in the meantime, trust me when I tell you, you can't beat Hawks' tech & parts service, & their knowledge of the machines is the best in the business! Imo! enjoy your hawk!

I've already popped on here and asked some questions about Hawk saw so I thought I would tell my story on how I obtained a used Hawk VS220.

I posted an introduction on January 31, 2017 and also started looking around for scroll saw recommendations. I saw a few Hawks and a lot of Dewalts and some mentions of Craigslist. I was considering the Dewalt 788 but thought I would look on Craigslist and see what was being offered.

There was a Hawk VS220 for sale for $450 about 30 miles from here (and one for $650 in the Cincinnati area). The ad said hardly ever used, like new and comes with over 200 various blades. $450 is about the price of a new Dewalt 788 so my thought was, let's low ball an offer and see if he takes it. I knew that new Hawks were $1100 so what did I have to lose? So I offered $350, cash and I could come pick it up tomorrow.

He took it.

I went to pick it up on Wednesday February 2. I had a chance to talk with "G" the owner who is a very nice, retired school teacher who explained that he didn't really buy it himself, his wife bought it thinking he could start doing scroll work and she could sell it in her little art store at the local mall. Well, he said if the saw had 5 hours on it he would be surprised but it had been setting in the garage ever since it was delivered. Tracking the serial number with Buston revealed that the saw was about 25 years old.

These saws have a few steel parts on the them and they were all pretty old/rusted and needed to be reconditioned and/or replaced. I called Bushton a few times and placed an order on February 2 for the parts that I thought needed to be replaced. I also started a WD-40 reconditioning program on the existing steel parts just in case. Buston notified me yesterday that a partial shipment went out yesterday (partial means something is back ordered. I know at least the lower blade chuck is on backorder.) So we'll see what is there when the package arrives.

I spent the weekend dismantling and cleaning the saw. I feel I really need to recommend Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish if you ever need to polish up some aluminum. The milled pieces look great, almost new. The saw is still partially dismantled waiting for the new parts to arrive. I could put it together but the upper blade holder is held in place by a pin and I have to have the upper arm off so I can hammer the pin in. The reconditioning program worked well and right now I could restore the saw and use the old, reconditioned parts but I will wait on my Buston delivery.

And the irony is not lost on me, I have almost $450 in this saw right now, I've never used it anda Dewalt 788 can be had for $488 on Amazon with free Prime shipping.

So I wait and scheme of home made dust collection devices. Think Scrollnado clone but for a Hawk.

I hope to be up and scrolling almost any day now and I promise to get back with my rookie attempts.

Nice story,i like my Dewalts.