Stoning the Blade?

stevan

So I have this book, "Using the Scroll Saw" by Nick Engler, copyright 1994. In it he has a section on preparing the blade and says that you can remove the burr and round the back edges for a smoother, more controlled cut by using a small sharpening stone or hone to actually grind the burr off.

Does anyone really do this? I have attached a pdf with the relevant information. See pages 35 and 36.

Stoning the Blade.pdf

I used to round the back corners of my blades till I discovered how to make sharp inside turns. As for the burr on the right side of the blade, it becomes second nature to compensate for it, plus I use the burr to help clean up the cut if I need it.

Anymore, I don't have a need to stone my scroll saw blades.

I don't believe that I am aware of this process. I may have seen something about it somewhere but I have never tried it..I do not see myself taking the time to do that now either. sometimes i ignore things like this for a long time and eventually see a need to try it and then wish i would have done that in the first place

Dick

heppnerguy

You bring back my early days scrolling.I had the worst time learning to make turns ,So i'd back out of a cut.not an easy job unless you file the back of your saw blades to a v.Since then i've learned so much on ?SSV i'm not needing to do that anymore.But on my band saw not being able to make sharp turns Filing the back of the blade on my band saw would save me the trouble of putting the blade back on both wheels again,lol.

Stoning the back of the blade is a very simple and quick process when done with the blade mounted in the saws blade clamps and proper tension applied.   You just have to turn the saw on and hold the stone against your left and right back edges at about a 30 to 45 degree angle for a few seconds.   I don't do this all that often but I do think it improves the turning in a tight corner situation. JMHO   

I also frequently apply wax to my blades. I usually use an old candle or Paraffin wax block and just hold it briefly against each side of the blade while the saw is running and just before cutting. I do it again every few minutes. Paraffin wax is available in grocery stores in 1 lb boxes about the size of a 1 lb block of butter. I think the last box cost me less than $2.00, but it's been a while since I needed to buy any. You will find it where baking and canning supplies are located. Each box contains about 10 blocks. I usually saw each block in half as I need them, to make it easier to use. A box full probably lasts me 4 or more years, and I usually loose the smaller pieces before actually using them up.  I have never found that it caused any project finishing problems, so I have never worried about that. I also frequently apply paste wax to my saw table and the bottom of my clamping fixtures to make the work and the clamps slide easier, again with no finishing problems on my projects. Applying it to the cast iron tables of my tools also prevents rust.

Charley