A finish experiment.

hawkeye10

I thought I would try to first use BLO & mineral spirits and let it cure then put on Watco Danish oil natural. I was going for a little darker color. I am getting just a little darker color but not much. The real problem is it's not drying like it should. I put the Watco on yesterday mourning about 10 AM and at 5 AM this mourning it's still not completely dry. So if you ever thought about trying this I would say maybe you should reconsider your thinking.

nIDga3k.jpg

Hey Don, I decided to try Danish oil on poplar and found that the Danish oil takes significantly longer to dry than 50/50 BLO/mineral spirits. I thought it would be the other way around. I did read a bit and found that both Danish oil and BLO are made from flaxseed but have different additives. They both polymerize to create a hard finish.

Once again. Danish oil IS BLO, mineral spirits, polurethane and some driers mixed in. BLO is just an oil and if you mix Mineral spirits with it you are thinning it that is all. You are not making it dry faster or any other thing. Danish oil takes longer to dry because of the poly mixed in. BLO will not dry but will be absorbed faster but both need to cure let alone dry before any top coating. Putting Danish oil on top of BLO will not change the color unless you use a darker shade of Danish oil. The same stuff. It may look darker because you now have a film finish on top as opposed to a oil that soaked in. Put any lacquer or poly on top of BLO and it too will look darker but it is the refraction of the finish. With either finish you are looking at a minimum of 24 hours and longer for Danish oil. These are my opinions.

Nice puzzle and I bet they are good sellers. Good luck.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I have used BLO mixed with MS followed by a top coat many times. The 50/50 mixture takes 3-5 days to dry before applying the top coat. If applied to soon it prevents the top coat from drying properly. I have also used Danish Oil as my first coat followed by spray lacquer or polyurethane. The Danish Oil must dry at least one day first.

I thought I would try to first use BLO & mineral spirits and let it cure then put on Watco Danish oil natural. I was going for a little darker color. I am getting just a little darker color but not much. The real problem is it's not drying like it should. I put the Watco on yesterday mourning about 10 AM and at 5 AM this mourning it's still not completely dry. So if you ever thought about trying this I would say maybe you should reconsider your thinking.

nIDga3k.jpg

My doctors secretary will love this .as soon as i get squared away.Nice job