Have one of the new Jet scroll sawa?

heppnerguy

I just opened Steve Good's sight and watched a video he made that looks to be really helpful to those that have the new Jet scroll saw. I posted the link to his video for you to watch. It looks like it would be worth while to spend a short time watching if you do

Dick

heppnerguy

I just opened Steve Good's sight and watched a video he made that looks to be really helpful to those that have the new Jet scroll saw. I posted the link to his video for you to watch. It looks like it would be worth while to spend a short time watching if you do

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks Dick I will look at the video after while. I am resting right now. I have been working so hard.    ;)    :cool:

I wonder why they put the hole there in the first place.  I have never even seen the Jet so the reason may be obvious to those that have.  As for having to take a piece out and using a tool to clamp the blade in the bottom, Hegner has always been that way as far as I know.  That was one thing I was leery about when I decided I wanted a Hegner.  Now I don't even think about it.  Does not bother me in the least.  Don't you have to do something similar with the Hawks?

Edited by Scrappile

If I were to have this saw, the jig seems like a reasonable addition.  However, I am not understanding why this jig would need to be 3D printed.  It seems like the jig would be very very easy to create on the scrollsaw, from wood. 

More than anything, I think  this video shows that the clamp mechanism as a whole would not be an improvement for me personally.   I'm sure this is great for the right kind of scrollers, but it just seems awkward to me.

--------Randy

The older Hawks like mine have the same style lower clamp.. except.. Hawk was smart enough to not make that hole go all the way through the barrel ( round portion ).. With the Hawk you put the blade in until it bottoms out and tighten the thumb screw..

I thought I would hate this clamp set up on my newly acquired Hawk.. and I have to say at first it did seem a little clunky but now that I've been using it some I really like it.. I have always had a hard time with my DeWalt because I always seem to get the blade in either too high up or too low down.. Too low sometimes the blade is like a standard blade rather than a reverse.. and too high you missing too many cutting teeth and the reverse teeth are doing too much, LOL.. With the Hawk set up.. my blade is in the same position every time...

If I were to have this saw, the jig seems like a reasonable addition.  However, I am not understanding why this jig would need to be 3D printed.  It seems like the jig would be very very easy to create on the scrollsaw, from wood. 

More than anything, I think  this video shows that the clamp mechanism as a whole would not be an improvement for me personally.   I'm sure this is great for the right kind of scrollers, but it just seems awkward to me.

--------Randy

Randy, Steve Good just purchased a 3D printer. It seems he has figured how to make some money with!

Dick

heppnerguy

i like as simple a blade change as you can get.Delta had it right!

I wonder why they put the hole there in the first place.  I have never even seen the Jet so the reason may be obvious to those that have.  As for having to take a piece out and using a tool to clamp the blade in the bottom, Hegner has always been that way as far as I know.  That was one thing I was leery about when I decided I wanted a Hegner.  Now I don't even think about it.  Does not bother me in the least.  Don't you have to do something similar with the Hawks?

We do indeed, at least on the older ones.  the very reason I rarely use it. I just got a replacement piece that will make this task a whole lot easier...So thankful for that

Dick

heppnerguy

OH, by the way, we sold our house and I am going to have to get rid of quite a bit of my wood supply. so you better make it down to Heppner by May and cart some of it home with you, I will not have that much room in my new house for so much wood.

I just can't get excited about this new saw

Having to make modifications to it sounds ridiculous to me

Wouldn't that void any warranty?

Get it right the first time and scroll on

Is it really that difficult the way it is?

Wouldn't it be just a matter of getting used to the new set up

I must be missing something here

Fab4

I just can't get excited about this new saw

Having to make modifications to it sounds ridiculous to me

Wouldn't that void any warranty?

Get it right the first time and scroll on

Is it really that difficult the way it is?

Wouldn't it be just a matter of getting used to the new set up

I must be missing something here

Fab4

I've actually looked at one in person and I think they look very well built.. right up there with Excalibur... maybe better with the way the upper clamp works.. If I was in the market for a new saw.. I'd look very close at this saw... Once you get used to those lower blade clamps.. they are really nice... especially if you have a few extra clamps because you can keep some blades all ready to pop into the saw.. The Hawk saw has the same style clamp.. Nice to have a spiral blade all ready to do some veining in a project that only has a few areas needing veining.. just pop it in and do the veining then back to the regular blade..

This saw is quite new to the market.. and everyone seems to modify their saws to their liking.. look at all the mods out their for the DeWalt for lifting the arm etc.. many people change out clamps on lower end saws etc etc.. Personally if i bought this Jet saw.. i'd probably either build that tool or weld that hole shut on the bottom clamp so my blade would be installed they same way every time.. or just buy clamps from Hawk since they don't have the hole going all the way through, LOL..

The Jet doesn't really NEED mods.. its just tweaking it to a personal liking.. that may make it easier for some...

While I do agree with you.. lets just "get it right the first time" but that is hard to do with so many different types of scroll saw projects..and the people using them all have different things they like about a saw..

And no that tool wouldn't void the warranty because it's nothing more that a wrench type tool to hold the lower clamp while you put the blade in.. then you remove the clamp out of the tool to put back into the saw..

I've actually looked at one in person and I think they look very well built.. right up there with Excalibur... maybe better with the way the upper clamp works.. If I was in the market for a new saw.. I'd look very close at this saw... Once you get used to those lower blade clamps.. they are really nice... especially if you have a few extra clamps because you can keep some blades all ready to pop into the saw.. The Hawk saw has the same style clamp.. Nice to have a spiral blade all ready to do some veining in a project that only has a few areas needing veining.. just pop it in and do the veining then back to the regular blade..

This saw is quite new to the market.. and everyone seems to modify their saws to their liking.. look at all the mods out their for the DeWalt for lifting the arm etc.. many people change out clamps on lower end saws etc etc.. Personally if i bought this Jet saw.. i'd probably either build that tool or weld that hole shut on the bottom clamp so my blade would be installed they same way every time.. or just buy clamps from Hawk since they don't have the hole going all the way through, LOL..

The Jet doesn't really NEED mods.. its just tweaking it to a personal liking.. that may make it easier for some...

While I do agree with you.. lets just "get it right the first time" but that is hard to do with so many different types of scroll saw projects..and the people using them all have different things they like about a saw..

And no that tool wouldn't void the warranty because it's nothing more that a wrench type tool to hold the lower clamp while you put the blade in.. then you remove the clamp out of the tool to put back into the saw..

Thanks Kevin

Fab4

What I don't understand is as long as scroll saws have been made one would think they would have perfected a design with no short comings.   It shouldn't be rocket science to design the almost perfect blade clamp for example.   Something Rolf and I along with others agree is the cam style blade clamps that were on previous Delta models was a very good design.   Why they discontinued it is a mystery to me.   I have said it before and I'll say it again having to remove a blade clamp from a scroll saw to install a blade shouldn't be a necessary function.IMHO   I would like an engineer to explain why this method is still being used. 

What I don't understand is as long as scroll saws have been made one would think they would have perfected a design with no short comings.   It shouldn't be rocket science to design the almost perfect blade clamp for example.   Something Rolf and I along with others agree is the cam style blade clamps that were on previous Delta models was a very good design.   Why they discontinued it is a mystery to me.   I have said it before and I'll say it again having to remove a blade clamp from a scroll saw to install a blade shouldn't be a necessary function.IMHO   I would like an engineer to explain why this method is still being used. 

Because things are different on different saws does not necessarily mean that one way is perfect. I happen to like the design of the blade clamps on the DeWalt but others complain about them. I too have a Hawk and I have found the lower blade assembly to be a little bit of a time consumer. That being said, if one is a bottom feeder, then once you have the blade in place, it actually is way nice when you re-thread your blade from hole to hole because the blade swings out toward the operator, making it really easy to put the blade in a new and small fret hole, where you do not need to bend yourself way out of shape to do so, like on the DeWalt and other saws. Changing the blade is a longer step but re-threading is easier. One picks their battles. I sure can see why when one gets used to a way of doing something, it quickly becomes the best way to them. Maybe like using a spiral blade or a flat blade. I also understand that if one is liking their usual way of doing something, other ways seem questionable. I believe that if I owned the Jet scroll saw, I would be excited about the product that Steve Good made and introduced in his video and I would buy one in a heart beat. However, I too do not understand why Jet did not see this seemly obvious mistake. I guess it just proves that engineers are not necessarily the user of the produce too. Also the device that Steve Good designed looks to be more useful to me, then not making the hole go all the way through, because it also seems to make changing the blade even better than the lessor hole would be. 

Dick

heppnerguy

God bless you Dick but I think you misunderstood my post.   I'm not disputing that Steve's jig isn't  worth while what I fail to understand is the need for it in the first place.   Why is a scroll saw currently being designed that  requires a removal of the blade clamp from the saw to change blades?   That is my biggest beef with Hegner saws.   I contacted Advanced Machinery a few years back and didn't get a satisfactory explanation.    I'm not alone in my view on this subject.   I agree there are different features about certain scroll saws that appeal to some but not others.  I don't think if your willing to pay the piper that you shouldn't be able to buy one scroll saw that incorporates the best of all the features and functions users want.   I wonder who Jet engineers conferred with to come out with a brand new scroll saw that 1. can only be bottom fed, 2. requires removing the lower blade holder to change or install a blade.   In Hegners case I am lead to believe their attitude is take it or leave it. Maybe they are all that way just take it or leave it.               

Edited by stoney

I think with Hegner it is a matter of building a work horse that has been proven over years.  And, not to stereo type, but I guess I will, some of the stubborn German breeding....  ;)   I now what you are saying, and it took me a while to be satisfied with the way of doing it.  It is now second nature to me and I would give up my Ex (Excalibur, not ex-wife, fortunately I don't have one of those, least not yet) before I would part with my Hegner.  It is the confidence I have that my daughter will be scrolling on it long after I am gone.  Not so with the Ex, which is a great saw, but it will not out last the Hegner.  Also I am and always have been a bottom feeder.  See absolutely no reason to change and wouldn't if I did.  I see you have a Hegner, now be honest, would you trade it for any other saw on the market,,,,? May be sorry I asked that..   :lol: 

We do indeed, at least on the older ones.  the very reason I rarely use it. I just got a replacement piece that will make this task a whole lot easier...So thankful for that

Dick

heppnerguy

OH, by the way, we sold our house and I am going to have to get rid of quite a bit of my wood supply. so you better make it down to Heppner by May and cart some of it home with you, I will not have that much room in my new house for so much wood.

What made you sell you house?  I will really try to make it over hopefully this next month, but you have got to tell me when is convenient for you guys.  I know if you sold your house and are going to move you will be busy.  Are you staying in Heppner?  You ought to move to the Tri-Cities.  We could visit more.  Maybe start a local scrolling club of two. 

I think with Hegner it is a matter of building a work horse that has been proven over years.  And, not to stereo type, but I guess I will, some of the stubborn German breeding....  ;)   I now what you are saying, and it took me a while to be satisfied with the way of doing it.  It is now second nature to me and I would give up my Ex (Excalibur, not ex-wife, fortunately I don't have one of those, least not yet) before I would part with my Hegner.  It is the confidence I have that my daughter will be scrolling on it long after I am gone.  Not so with the Ex, which is a great saw, but it will not out last the Hegner.  Also I am and always have been a bottom feeder.  See absolutely no reason to change and wouldn't if I did.  I see you have a Hegner, now be honest,

would you trade it for any other saw on the market,,,,? May be sorry I asked that..   :lol:

Paul I know Hegner builds an exceptionally good quality scroll saw.   I have said so in the scroll saw reviews but I have also said that they have a few short comings including the lower blade clamp.   Yes I have learned to live with it but that doesn't mean I have to like it.   I would like the option to top feed if I chose to.   For an example I would like to do a large fretwork project like the ones Charles Dearing  does.   I realize it is possible to accomplish on a Hegner because that is what Charlie uses.   I just don't like the idea of threading the blade from the bottom on a say 18" x24"  project,   If my saw was capable of being top fed it would make cutting that kind of project a whole lot easier.

Now I'm getting away from my main point in that I don't understand why Jet designed their new model saw the way they did.

You asked if I would trade my saw for any other on the market.   Probably I would currently consider first a Hawk and maybe Excalibur but if Hegner came out with a conversion package to allow for top feeding I would surely be very interested.     

Edited by stoney

I'm about to upgrade my scroll saw from my 16" craftsman scroll saw.  I was able to scrape together enough money to get a nice saw.  I was hoping for an Excalibur, but since you can't get them, that changed my game plan.  I'm looking at the Jet now.  For the most part, I like what I see.  However, I'm not thrilled with the lower blade clamp.  But I think it's something I can overlook.  I'll probably buy Steve's jig once I pony up the cash for the Jet.  It looks like a pretty good accessory.  $15 to save me some headache and swear words sounds like a pretty good deal to me.  ;)