First cut on my DW788

Rob

Scrolling has taken a back seat of late while I have been turning pens.  I had forgotten how much fun the lathe is but having picked up a second hand DW788 I thought I had better do something with it.

This trivet is cut from the side of an old drawer box from a pattern found at craftsmanspace.com. 

post-26566-0-57357000-1489564505_thumb.jpg 

No finish applied as yet.

Rob

Very nice Rob....No dust control............ :cool:  :cool:

Got some single Rimu headboards given me today, and I thought of you.

Do you have enough Rimu for pens I could find out the price of courier to send you some if you wood like....................

Edited by merlin

Scrolling has taken a back seat of late while I have been turning pens.  I had forgotten how much fun the lathe is but having picked up a second hand DW788 I thought I had better do something with it.

This trivet is cut from the side of an old drawer box from a pattern found at craftsmanspace.com. 

attachicon.gifCraftsmanspaceTrivet.jpg

No finish applied as yet.

Rob

I used to use a lot of drawer sides  but finding quality ones that aren't too fragile stopped me from using them.You did a good job here.

Very nice Rob....No dust control............ :cool:  :cool:

Got some single Rimu headboards given me today, and I thought of you.

Do you have enough Rimu for pens I could find out the price of courier to send you some if you wood like....................

Thanks Merlin.  I wear a mask when scrolling and clean up with a shop vac once in a while.  It's very kind of you to offer some Rimu but I have plenty thanks.  Pretty well everything I cut uses reclaimed wood from the recycling centre.  Rimu seems to be the most common although I have found some oak, mahogany and some matai floorboards on occasion.  A friend also gave me a big piece of Massa (aka Pacific Jarrah) which used to be a fireplace mantel which turns well.  How are your pens coming along?

Rob