need help

Hi all, i got a Ryobi SC164VS variable speed 16 inch scroll saw, according to Ryobi.com thatthe saw can take plain end blades and pin end blades, i have been using the pin end since i got it but having to make the hole bigger then what the line is.i tried to install the plain end one today, andi get it tight then tighten the adjustment, just a couple of turns the blade pops out at bottom,i tried googling on how to do it, my instruction manual is no help the blade im trying to install and work with is the spiral plain end... so if you have any answers, i am all ears

Sorry for rambling

Jim

Those can be a bear to get set, especially if they are the smaller blades with the twisted ends. If they have the twisted ends, take a pair of flat end pliers and straighten the ends. You can also use a hammer and the top of a vise to do it. Most manuals suggest you place the blade in the bottom holder first. I find if you place the blade in the top holder first the blade is more stable and easier to set in the bottom holder. Try to place the blade (bottom holder) as close to to the center of the set screws as you can. This will help with the twisting. I usually pop out the table insert to get a better view of the bottom blade holder.

You can wipe the blade ends with some alcohol and a cloth to remove any oil from manufacturing. This is also a cause for blades twisting when tightening. While you're at it, remove the set screws and check for oil and burrs on the ends. I usually like to roughen up the ends of the set screws with some 320 grit sandpaper. Just make sure you keep the ends flat. This will help in getting a better bite on the blade.

I am not a fan of spiral blades myself. When I'm doing fine detail in 1/4" ply or thinner I use either the FD-PSR5 blades or the FD-SP (superior puzzle) blades. I am just use to working with flat blades. I hope this helps.

p.s. Nice to see another "pyro" here (I checked out your site).

Thank you Vector.. i appreciate the info, i am not sure why i bought the spiral blades for, i think i saw another member here say it does real good detailed/fine cuts... gonna go back to home depot today and get another kind today... Cool, Good to know there are others out there who pyro.

once again, ty for the info, got it printed

ttyl

Jim :thumbs:

I had issue with the plan end blade when I began using them. I did something quite different. I took a pinned blade to my sander and I filed down the "UPPER" pins to permit the to access the drilled hole. Give it a try!!! :thumbs:

I cannot recall where I read it, but another thing you might try is taking the set screw loose and sanding the end that faces the blade's edge so that it is flat. :):cool:

I find that my finger can not tighten the screw tight enough, so I keep a pair of needle nose pliers close by. I snug the thumb screw slightly and the lower blade remains in place. :woot:

I had issue with the plan end blade when I began using them. I did something quite different. I took a pinned blade to my sander and I filed down the "UPPER" pins to permit the to access the drilled hole. Give it a try!!! :thumbs:

I cannot recall where I read it, but another thing you might try is taking the set screw loose and sanding the end that faces the blade's edge so that it is flat. :):cool:

I find that my finger can not tighten the screw tight enough, so I keep a pair of needle nose pliers close by. I snug the thumb screw slightly and the lower blade remains in place. :woot:

Hi NiTay

Thanks for the info, will try that too, :thumbs:

Kool...No problem. You might want to try out the "sample pack" of blades from Mike's Workshop. When I started scrollen again I went out and bought just about every blade made. What a waste of money. After I had some cutten under my belt I found you can do almost anything with a very small selection of blades. I'm not promoting any particular manufacturer, but I found in my experience that the FD blades to be great.

I have the same model Ryobi as you do and I had trouble at first when I switched to plain end blades. All the suggestions already given are good and I have tried most of them. When I got my FD blades from Mike I had the same trouble with the blade slipping out of the holder when I tightened the tension. I found that the best solution to the problem is to try the blade in various places in the blade holder and use the Allen wrench to tighten it. I put the bottom end in first. Eventually you will find the right spot in the holder that will hold the blade. Use that spot every time and use the wrench. I haven't had any problems since doing that.