Something simple to make

rdatelle

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas for me to make something simple for my Kindergarten kids for there last day of school which is May 24. I have 15 girls and 9 boys. Looking for something small that I can stack cut and just dip in some poly to finish them off. I was thinking about Steve Goods Oval Keys with there name on them but there's 24 different names and I won't be able to stack cut them. Any ideas are more that welcome. Thanks, Ralph.

58 minutes ago, rdatelle said:

That's not bad Denny. That's all the kids do is hug me every time they see me in the hallways. How did you cut it and how thick was the wood. Do you have a pic of one.

I used Word Art font and squished the letters together.  I used 1/4" wood approximately 1" x 2".  Sorry about the out of focus picture, but yo get the idea.

P1010001.JPG

Edited by Denny Knappen

Thanks Denny. I might try a couple and see how it looks. I am leaning towards Steve Goods Oval Key chains but without the names. I printed out some of his pages from his catalog with different designs and I would be able to stack cut them 4 or 5 at a time and fill in the cutout with FIMO baking clay and then dip them in poly or something else.

7 minutes ago, rdatelle said:

Thanks Denny. I might try a couple and see how it looks. I am leaning towards Steve Goods Oval Key chains but without the names. I printed out some of his pages from his catalog with different designs and I would be able to stack cut them 4 or 5 at a time and fill in the cutout with FIMO baking clay and then dip them in poly or something else.

Good Ralph.  Looks like you get your hugs anyway.

When my daughter was little.. she had me cut stars and half moons etc and also a large letter H as her name is Hannah... she didn't want me to finish them as she wanted to color them.. she colored them with markers.. that was quite a few years ago as that was when she was maybe 1st grade or around then.. she still has them.. and she is graduating high school end of May..  I didn't think the markers would work too well on them and figured I would be sanding them down and painting them.. but they colored fine and held up quite well over the years.. of coarse they are inside on her wall and the big H hangs on bedroom her door..

whatever you decide to make.. if the kids take care of them the cuttings could last them a lifetime..

Kevin 

I do Christmas gifts for the teachers at my daughter's school as she is a principal.  The first year I did Steve's key chains.  Did over 50 and figured out it took me 15 minutes each.  Big success.

The next year I did bookmarks,  Fairly simple, apple at top and the initials of the school at the bottom.  Another success.  (I have done more since then for her to give to students).

Last year, I did bird houses.  Bigger job.

I hope next years she changes schools and we can start over

I have done hugs a key chains too that she gives out to the kids.

IMG.thumb.jpg.83f6b7b26b9dadca9d21c9cc1baa5fbe.jpg

Edited by don in brooklin on
spelling

Well I decided that I will make the key chains with the word hugs  cut out and filled in with the FIMO clay. I also think I'm going to do different colors for each letter so they stand out more. Kids like colors. I want to thank all of you for all your great ideas. Made my decision much easier. I'll put a pic of one of them on here when I'm done.

I see you have decided on what to so and it sounds great.  I will lately suggest the bookmarks with "Hugs" scrolled in and filled.  My thinking is it will be a while until they really need a key chain but a book mark is good for when they get into reading more in the near future.  May also encourage them to read. 

Visited my Kindergarten age grand child on Easter, and he had show me how he was learning to read!  In Kindergarten.... I just learned it wasn't cool to suck my thumb!  Now they are learning real stuff.

On 4/21/2017 at 1:33 PM, rdatelle said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas for me to make something simple for my Kindergarten kids for there last day of school which is May 24. I have 15 girls and 9 boys. Looking for something small that I can stack cut and just dip in some poly to finish them off. I was thinking about Steve Goods Oval Keys with there name on them but there's 24 different names and I won't be able to stack cut them. Any ideas are more that welcome. Thanks, Ralph.

what ever and how ever you do it ,Everybody loves free!

6 hours ago, rdatelle said:

Paul, the bookmarks sound like a good idea to. That might be my next project. What size wood did you use. As far as the key chains, they will probably hook them up to there back packs.

For book marks I use hardwood slightly less 1/16" approx.   1.5" by 6".  You can also use 1/32 Baltic Birch.

I have made a ton of key chains and most of the kids end up on back packs and sports bags.  If doing for a kid I usually put on a ball chain instead of a split ring.

Sounds like a nice project.

11 hours ago, rdatelle said:

Paul, the bookmarks sound like a good idea to. That might be my next project. What size wood did you use. As far as the key chains, they will probably hook them up to there back packs.

Well, now you put me on the spot. :roll:  I have never made a bookmark in my life!  Just thought it sounded good.  But,, if I did I would try 1/16" material.  It that didn't work, 1/8".  I don't know how thin you can do the "clay" stuff, I have never worked with it.