different types of scrolling??

Hi Jim. not a dumb question at all. Fretwork to me is where there are many inside cuts make.such as portraits. there is lots of detail being cut anstead of just an outline of a subject. To me portraits fall in this catagory. Intarsia is a completely diferent subject all together. You cut several different pieces of wood out, of different species, then sand and shape them all to fit together to make a finished project. Intarsia takes more than a scrollsaw. but the end result is rewarding. I enjoy doing both.

here are a couple links from my gallery, the first is a cutting I would consider fretwork (for me), and the second link is of my last intarsia project. Hopefully there will be someone else with another answer about fretwork.

mushroom fairy

fresh catch

hey there Clayton

Thanks for the info, i love the eagle and fish,, is that part carving too? the fairy, i liked it too, i am so trying hard to be a portrait designer, i did one of allison iraheta from american idol last year,, came out fairly well, got pics under thenew patterns forum.. i think thats what its under

Once again thanks for the info

Jim

Jim, No problem thats what we are here for. to help each other out. There is no carving just a lot of shaping and sanding. and sanding, and sanding. :lol: I do all the shaping by different sanders and some by hand. Intarsia is time consuming but the end result is well worth it.

Just keep working at it, portraits still give me troubles once in a while. I haven't done a pattern in so long I probably won't remember how to.