EX tweaking

munzieb

I did it. I got tired of those useless vent holes on the deck of my EX-16 and decided to do something about it. I was pretty frustrated with the vacuum system and after about 2 hours of use, removed it. Small pieces kept getting hung up. I thought for a while about how I could fill in those holes and finally came up with using 5 minute, 2 part epoxy. I taped off the lower section to hold it in place and mixed up a batch and applied a layer slightly thicker into and over the holes. Since it dries to a hard rubber like consistency, I was able to use a straight razor to shave off the excess. Applied a 2nd coat because it tends to well a little in the holes and trim again. What a difference! It is a whole lot smoother!

In a previous posting, I mentioned that I had swapped the lower blade tightening screw from the right to left side. That also made a difference in that I can use both hands tightening the blade and tensioning. I did have to reposition the motor to square up the blade. Looking for my next tweak.

20170515_084214.jpg

20170515_084228.jpg

I've often wondered if anyone had successfully filled those holes in the EX.  I wasn't impressed with the dust collection system either.  I removed the hose connector and the plastic film shortly after getting the saw.  Since I removed the plastic film, I haven't had too much trouble with the holes, but I'll be keeping your solution in the back of my mind. 

I have been using a shopvac successfully and quite happily attached.  I keep a piece of toothpick in there to keep the plastic from "sticking" to the bottom of the deck.  Even re-glued the plastic with duct tape after it came loose.  It makes a lot of difference in the amount of sawdust in the air that I see floating in the light of my lamp. 

10 hours ago, munzieb said:

I did it. I got tired of those useless vent holes on the deck of my EX-16 and decided to do something about it. I was pretty frustrated with the vacuum system and after about 2 hours of use, removed it. Small pieces kept getting hung up. I thought for a while about how I could fill in those holes and finally came up with using 5 minute, 2 part epoxy. I taped off the lower section to hold it in place and mixed up a batch and applied a layer slightly thicker into and over the holes. Since it dries to a hard rubber like consistency, I was able to use a straight razor to shave off the excess. Applied a 2nd coat because it tends to well a little in the holes and trim again. What a difference! It is a whole lot smoother!

In a previous posting, I mentioned that I had swapped the lower blade tightening screw from the right to left side. That also made a difference in that I can use both hands tightening the blade and tensioning. I did have to reposition the motor to square up the blade. Looking for my next tweak.

20170515_084214.jpg

20170515_084228.jpg

The new Seyco saw has holes too.

bb

On 5/15/2017 at 8:05 AM, munzieb said:

20170515_084214.jpg

20170515_084228.jpg

glad you found a solution!