Iggy Event Results 5/20/17

Iguanadon

Perfect timing, the servers came back up just in time for my update.  :-)

Well... another event that failed to meet my personal expectations.  And once again, speaking with other vendors, it wasn't just me.  Every vendor said they did half or even only one third what they did the previous year.  It was my first time at this event.

I had a goal of 60 and sold 27.

This year the Carolina Beach Street Arts Festival coincided with 3 other events on our small island... A "Hands Across the Beach" thing, a wrestling tournament held on the beach and the biggest is a Jeep event held at the north end at Freeman Park... Get this... 800, yes EIGHT HUNDRED Jeep owners all drove down for this event.  They apparently meet at a location about 3 miles up the road and then caravan down.  Well this created a MASSIVE traffic mess as there is only one road/bridge to get to the island... Some people commented that it took them an hour and a half to go 5 miles... This most certainly caused a lot of people to say "screw this, I'm turning around".

So, I ain't whining, I came home with $600 in my pocket and the event was literally 4 blocks from my house.

Next week is the first week of the weekly Farmers Market here in town, again just a few blocks from home.  Coming up on my 1 year anniversary of selling puzzles, June 11, 2016 at the Farmers Market.  In these 49 weeks, I've sold over 700 puzzles.  Rather mind boggling when I think about it.

Here are some pictures of today's setup.  I made a couple of minor changes and was very happy with the look and how my overall table space was filled up.

I got to thinking about something a few minutes ago... I need to find pictures of my first event to compare to my setup now.  Should be hilarious.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Iggy

IMG_20170520_080629.jpg

IMG_20170520_080559.jpg

IMG_20170520_080511.jpg

IMG_20170520_080500.jpg

IMG_20170520_080430.jpg

IMG_20170520_080100.jpg

IMG_20170520_080050.jpg

Edited by Iguanadon

Sorry to hear that this show did not meet up with expectations, however, you had stiff competition in that there were other shows competing for your customers and their purchases.  This happens a lot to me later in the season as more and more shows come on line and are on the same weekends, etc.  Still you made table, gas and expenses with some profit so I would consider it a win.  You met folks,hopefully talked to them and made them potential future customers.

DW

Your booth looks great Iggy. Don't complain though. I set up at my third farmers market this morning. Started setting up at 6:30 and at 7:30 I was packing put because of rain. Hopefully tomorrow the weather is better. I have a huge event that I am setting up at that cost $125 for a 10x10 space. I sure would hate to get rained out on that one. 

5 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

Your booth looks great Iggy. Don't complain though. I set up at my third farmers market this morning. Started setting up at 6:30 and at 7:30 I was packing put because of rain. Hopefully tomorrow the weather is better. I have a huge event that I am setting up at that cost $125 for a 10x10 space. I sure would hate to get rained out on that one. 

Rain... the nemesis of all scrollers... I joke with folks when we talk about the weather... "Yes it sure is hot, but at least it isn't raining... my dogs don't swim."

Hopefully tomorrow is better for you Dave.  Let us know how the big event goes!  I'm supposed to get word Monday if I've been accepted to a massive event in August.  2 days... $245 booth fee... I'm excited and terrified.  If I get accepted I'll need 500-600 puzzles to help ensure I have enough stock for all of the "what if" scenarios.  And if rain hits that one I'll be devastated.

That is some nice display Scott.wish sales were higher for you.

Seems,it wasn't  a buying crowd.I sell at a weekly flea market  and

I find you need something different all the time.You had loads to show,so it was not

a buyer bunch.You will get them on the big one..

3 minutes ago, Gordster said:

That is some nice display Scott.wish sales were higher for you.

Seems,it wasn't  a buying crowd.I sell at a weekly flea market  and

I find you need something different all the time.You had loads to show,so it was not

a buyer bunch.You will get them on the big one..

Thanks Gordster.  I'm fortunate I live at the beach and can count on a fresh batch of spending tourists every week.  I absolutely appreciate that fact as I know how difficult it would be to sell in a non-tourist area on a regular basis and to maintain a solid level of sales.

3 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Perfect timing, the servers came back up just in time for my update.  :-)

Well... another event that failed to meet my personal expectations.  And once again, speaking with other vendors, it wasn't just me.  Every vendor said they did half or even only one third what they did the previous year.  It was my first time at this event.

I had a goal of 60 and sold 27.

This year the Carolina Beach Street Arts Festival coincided with 3 other events on our small island... A "Hands Across the Beach" thing, a wrestling tournament held on the beach and the biggest is a Jeep event held at the north end at Freeman Park... Get this... 800, yes EIGHT HUNDRED Jeep owners all drove down for this event.  They apparently meet at a location about 3 miles up the road and then caravan down.  Well this created a MASSIVE traffic mess as there is only one road/bridge to get to the island... Some people commented that it took them an hour and a half to go 5 miles... This most certainly caused a lot of people to say "screw this, I'm turning around".

So, I ain't whining, I came home with $600 in my pocket and the event was literally 4 blocks from my house.

Next week is the first week of the weekly Farmers Market here in town, again just a few blocks from home.  Coming up on my 1 year anniversary of selling puzzles, June 11, 2016 at the Farmers Market.  In these 49 weeks, I've sold over 700 puzzles.  Rather mind boggling when I think about it.

Here are some pictures of today's setup.  I made a couple of minor changes and was very happy with the look and how my overall table space was filled up.

I got to thinking about something a few minutes ago... I need to find pictures of my first event to compare to my setup now.  Should be hilarious.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Iggy

IMG_20170520_080629.jpg

IMG_20170520_080559.jpg

IMG_20170520_080511.jpg

IMG_20170520_080500.jpg

IMG_20170520_080430.jpg

IMG_20170520_080100.jpg

IMG_20170520_080050.jpg

Absolutely amazing what happened to your sale year after year.What ever your doing keep on doing!

5 hours ago, wombatie said:

Did you sell any of the painting kits Scott?

Marg

Nope, still no takers yet.  I sold 4 unpainted dino's though, compared to only 1 pre-painted.

First week of tourist season is coming up next Saturday.  With kids here on vacation maybe parents will be interested in the paint kits to keep the kids occupied in the evenings.

Looks great as always Scott. Sorry to hear so much going on and traffic woes that may have kept the bigger crowd away. Bonus though you were only 4 blocks from home. Every event probably is a learning experience for you right now. Which is good, let's you fine tune for the next one. Thanks for sharing how yours go so others can maybe also learn through your experiences.

Well you came out ahead, just not what you were after, but all in all you did great. Figuring the amount of puzzles you sold and it is only your first year of doing them. You found your calling and it will only get better, thx for keeping us in the loop, RJ