I Hope I'm Not The Only One To Have A Duh Moment

kmmcrafts

Just come in from a stack cut of three 1/8 BB ply wildlife in a leaf pattern from Sheila Landry.. Was gluing the backers (1/4 Walnut ply ) on and first one went real nice.. look great.. second one dang it.. applied the glue to the wrong side of the cutout.. made double sure on the third one.. Hope I can save it by sanding the glue off.. I wiped as much as I could off but most of it was really tacky and soaked into the wood pretty good by the time I figured out what was going on.. I suppose I could cut another backer that would be backwards to match and glue one up backwards from the others just to salvage the piece.. LOL  

Not the first time I done this... but the first time I caught it just as a small drop of glue got on it and was able to wipe it off..

Kevin

24 minutes ago, jollyred said:

Had lots of adventures like this, once I epoxied the legs on a chair backwards.   Could not get them off.  Just wondering if you could take the backer and turn it over to use the one you have already cut instead of cutting one backwards?

Nope, it's Walnut plywood that is only good on one side... so the back side is of a different wood.. I use the cheap stuff for backers as the good two sides stuff is high priced and not needed for a backer.. Oh well..

I double that.. You must have been looking over my shoulder and only remembered 'what not to do'. I am not sure what kind of glue you are using to glue on the backer board but I use a regular wood glue and was able to take it to the sink and using a pretty damp rag, I have been able to remove the glue without any trouble at all.. Just waited for the wood to dry and tried to make sure that doesn't happen again.. but it has anyway, later on in another project.. 

Dick

heppnerguy

nope kevin, you're not the only one. Alot of times I've got more than one or two projects goin' at once. To stay focused on one & keep the details goin' in your head are a full time job. I just had to completely tear a project apart & start over because I had pieces in the wrong places. Frustration big time!!! And the my client was coming to pick the project up that afternoon!:( No, brother! you're not alone!

Wife told me she likes it backwards on the wrong side of the plywood, ( actually don't look bad that way )  LOL so.. I may glue it like that and give it to her for her office at work.... She always takes my ooops projects like that, LOL.... first I though about trying to sand off the glue and seeing how it looks and if I can savage it the correct way.. but.. if not... I'm going to glue it backwards for her office walls of ooopps, LOL.... Her co-workers probably think I am some big ol dummy, LOL... actually I don't think they even notice the flaws in the things she takes in.. they always asking me to make something for them.. 

1 hour ago, Denny Knappen said:

Also been there done that.  One time I was making a Steve Good Valentine pattern.  Got both pieces finished and glued the front piece to the back piece with the lettering backwards.  Dianne still has it on her dresser.

Ha,just face it towards the mirror,might read backwards

On 5/25/2017 at 8:18 PM, kmmcrafts said:

Just come in from a stack cut of three 1/8 BB ply wildlife in a leaf pattern from Sheila Landry.. Was gluing the backers (1/4 Walnut ply ) on and first one went real nice.. look great.. second one dang it.. applied the glue to the wrong side of the cutout.. made double sure on the third one.. Hope I can save it by sanding the glue off.. I wiped as much as I could off but most of it was really tacky and soaked into the wood pretty good by the time I figured out what was going on.. I suppose I could cut another backer that would be backwards to match and glue one up backwards from the others just to salvage the piece.. LOL  

Not the first time I done this... but the first time I caught it just as a small drop of glue got on it and was able to wipe it off..

Kevin

commonly known as the school of hard knocks,Experience will get you everywhere.Lesson learned the hard way pays off.Put this one under your belt More than likely it won't happen again as it left an impression on your mind

8 hours ago, amazingkevin said:

commonly known as the school of hard knocks,Experience will get you everywhere.Lesson learned the hard way pays off.Put this one under your belt More than likely it won't happen again as it left an impression on your mind

Well after 12 years of doing these stupid mistakes.. You'd think I would of double checked..  I typically do this about once every couple years.. I remember for a while and then get too relaxed I guess.. then bam... did it again.. don't imagine I will do it again for a little while anyway. LOL

I was doing a big welcome to las vegas sign not too long ago.  It has 2 uprights that hold the sign up and I painted the empty space between them white and it was supposed to be wood color.  of course there is no way to sand all the white paint off back to bare wood so i was sort if stuck with it.  That was alot of work with the lettering and such, real bummer.

shelved it for a month or so, and finally figured that if I paint the entire background a sky blue it will work.  looks fine now and you wouldn't know i screwed it up but it really got t me at the time..  

I am sure we have been to that point where we are cruising along and sort of lose focus and cant recall which line we are cutting, is that the part i cut out or is that the part that stays?  that sort of thing,  i hate that.