Downsizing Pattern

edward

Don't know if this will help any but i just cut a piece of paper the size of the insert i want then make smaller copies at the local office supply till i get a eye ball match.. No doubt there are math formulas but at .10 a copy it works for me.. And no, i don't think it was a stupid question:)

Edward

I'm a firm believer in the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.  So don't feel like that please. And the answer would be 50 %. 

What pattern is it. I may be able to resize the insert hole for you and keep the rest of the pattern normal. Another way would be to drill it out with a forstner bit, just hit the center of the hole. 

Jollyred was on the right wave-length but, had the formula wrong.
Changing the dimensions to decimals, 2.75 divided by 1.375 is 2 or 200%.

It should be 1.375 (the size you want) divided by 2.75 (the size of the original.
That equals .5 which is 50% of the original size.

Thanks to all the members that helped out.

God Bless! Spirithorse

I've done this on several of the clocks I've made. I typically take it to my copy store to get it close. They are willing to work with me to get it right and it's cheap. One thing to consider is that the clocks usually come with a spring loaded expansion ring or rubber ring that can be added to. Since you are cutting the hole for the clock, you can compensate for any minor difference in the dimension. Use a compass to make a size that will fit. The tower clock I made had an outer ring that was part of the design. That hole was an exact fit and the inner hole was close.

20170128_084153.jpg

20170206_134445.jpg

23 hours ago, edward said:

Steve Good has a Pattern of a clock which has a 2 3/4" insert, now I was wondering if I could downsize it to a 1 3/8" insert, if so what percentage would I make it. Just wondering on peoples thoughts. Hope this isn't a stupid question.  edward

Yep this is a very stupid question.  :grr: I also would like to know the answer.  :lol: 

Well the answer to the math needed was given above, but for a red neck like me, I would print out the pattern as Steve Good designed it ' since only the insert hole is to be changed. then simply lay the insert in place and outline it with a sharp pencil. on the pattern and cut it on the inside of the pencil drawn on the pattern. then the clock is the same and the clock insert is the only thing changed.

Dick

heppnerguy

On 6/3/2017 at 0:29 PM, edward said:

Steve Good has a Pattern of a clock which has a 2 3/4" insert, now I was wondering if I could downsize it to a 1 3/8" insert, if so what percentage would I make it. Just wondering on peoples thoughts. Hope this isn't a stupid question.  edward

i use Rapid resizer for all this kind of work,I'm so happy to have found it!