Pass it on!

Fish

I needed new bearings for my Dw788. I went to VXB.com and my total for all bearings and shipping was $88.85:x:x   I found  BearingsDirect.com  from Glendale CA and total for bearings and shipping was $51.43:):)  All the same correct numbers, very easy to find.  Big savings-

That's a nice savings. I ordered bearings from BearingDirect when I rebuilt my 18" bandsaw - they do ship quickly.

But there might be even better deals out there. I'm restoring a 1950's 12" bandsaw now and I ordered some 1623-ZZ bearings last Friday from a company called intechbearing.com -  BearingsDirect wants $8.40 each, I paid $4.80 each at intech. They're due to arrive today.

40 minutes ago, Fish said:

I needed new bearings for my Dw788. I went to VXB.com and my total for all bearings and shipping was $88.85:x:x   I found  BearingsDirect.com  from Glendale CA and total for bearings and shipping was $51.43:):)  All the same correct numbers, very easy to find.  Big savings-

Dan did you price the bearings that they talked about  on this You Tube video?

I don't know about most you guys, but when I buy the cheapest I can find. I usually end up paying more in the long run, it's one of those Murphy's Law type of things. It's kinda like, when you buy the cheapest, you end up with the cheapest. Which in turn means, that you'll probably have to buy more new ones in the very near future. I no longer buy the cheapest of anything, if I can't afford quality I wait until I can. Now, if the bearings being talked about are all from the same manufacturer, and they all have the same numbers that match up. Then hell yeah, go for the cheaper ones as they're all the same. But ,if the numbers don't match up perfectly, then you will be getting poorer quality for the lower price.

Len

7 hours ago, Lucky2 said:

I don't know about most you guys, but when I buy the cheapest I can find. I usually end up paying more in the long run, it's one of those Murphy's Law type of things. It's kinda like, when you buy the cheapest, you end up with the cheapest. Which in turn means, that you'll probably have to buy more new ones in the very near future. I no longer buy the cheapest of anything, if I can't afford quality I wait until I can. Now, if the bearings being talked about are all from the same manufacturer, and they all have the same numbers that match up. Then hell yeah, go for the cheaper ones as they're all the same. But ,if the numbers don't match up perfectly, then you will be getting poorer quality for the lower price.

Len

I've rebuilt a lot of tools, never had a "cheap" bearing go bad on me or perform in any way different than an expensive one. The specs, including machining tolerance, are clearly listed at intech. I guess I'm just luckier than others.

There are bearing specialty stores in most large cities in the USA, and you will find their prices much lower than DeWalt or the tool parts suppliers like www.ereplacementparts.com. The bearings that they have in stock are the same or better bearings than you can get from the tool manufacturers too, but you will be buying them from a wholesale distributor and not second or third hand retail. If the part number etched on the side of the bearing is the same, it is the same bearing, no matter where you buy it.

Charley 

My point was not that's the cheapest is best but more that you can find great bearings at a cheaper price in places like auto parts stores or McMaster karr type places because they go through more and can get them cheaper therefore sell them cheaper and a lot of times they are better bearings than say dewalt or like a tickler store can get ahold of