want to make a metal sign

Mimi

I have a sign the customer has asked me to make for her husbands birthday. She wants it to be made out of diamond tread metal. I was just wondering if anyone has cut anything out of that type of material and if so was it difficult and what blade did you use and what procedure was used to cut it. Sorry for so many questions. I have never cut anything out of metal before on my saw and want to make sure it do it right. Thanks for the information

Mimi

I always thought it'd be cool to do some of the patterns in metal instead of wood.. that said.. at the time I had thought of doing metal cutting I only had a Dewalt saw.. and in my opinion.. I would never cut anything other than wood with any saw that has the open needle style bearings.. such as the DeWalt and Ex type saws have.. it's bad enough getting wood dust in those bearings.. but metal seems like it would really prematurely wear out the saws bearings and sleeves.. I have to take my Dewalt apart 1-2 times a year just to clean out the bearings and re grease..

Kevin 

Depending on the thickness metal is not much different to wood to cut.  Get yourself some metal cutting blades and turn the speed down.  Practice first, that is the best piece of advise I can give you.  Good luck Mimi.  Oh and if you fine you can cut it but  it is a bit too flexible sandwich it between some ply.

Marg

Just a quickie thought here, it may be just the 'look' of the diamond plate she wants.  If cutting the metal out doesn't work how about making simulated diamond plate adhering some vinyl flooring diamond to BB and then cutting from the backside.  Like I said just a thought.  Russ 

diamond vinyl flooring

A bit late to the thread, was just browsing through.

I think that any thickness you would want the sign to be to stand straight would be a bit much for the regular scroll saw.

I´m thinking you might be better off creating the art work and then get it plasma cut or laser cut.

14 hours ago, Mimi said:

here is a practice piece I cut. I cut it on the wrong side. It was easier than I thought. will be working on the larger sign today. will post when done. thanks for all the great input. .

Mimi

19620572_592155584291282_5273523319968792888_o.jpg

Quiters never win Winners never quit .You showed your perseverance and came out smelling like a rose ,I'm very proud of you!