Lost cause?

Fish

DW 788 Noise problem.MOV

If this works here is a small video of my problem with my saw.  I just replaced all the bearings and sleeves but ended up with this.  I have adjusted everything I can think of, the pivot,  upper tension,  everything I can find to try. I bought the con rod  assembly a short time ago so it should be fine. I haven't replaced the vertical rocker assy. and it was so tight getting it back in I made a small groove  in the part. I filed it smooth. What is strange is the table feels very smooth when it's running.  I have put a little over $200 in this saw and can't afford any more. Getting a new saw is not in the picture. I have so many things I'd like to cut it's driving me crazy not being able to find the fix.  Anyone have any ideas or answers?  I appreciate your help.

Only two "guesses."  Take them for what it's worth.  I am hearing a rhythmic, rapid sound of fast/slow, fast/slow.

1. Is something binding and/or over tightened?  To me, it sounds like the motor very briefly runs at a high speed and quickly comes to some type of obstruction and lugs down.

2.  Is there a new sleeve that isn't long enough?

I would take it apart and loosen every bolt, reassemble it and see if that gets it quieted down.

I'm sure you are frustrated beyond words.  Know that everyone here is cheering for you, but remember that sometimes we need to think outside of the box.  There is no point in repeating what we were doing over and over again, hoping for a different result.

jerry

Actually I think it sounds more like something is loose.. When I did one of my rebuilds I thought I had everything tight.. but I think it was bound up on something and came unbound once I turned on the saw.. sounded about like that.. ended up checking the bolts on the front portion of the saw where the rocker arms connect to the rod that goes through the saw to the back.. some of those was just slightly loose after running it for just a couple minutes.. I think maybe the thrust washers may have been out of line with the sleeve or something.. anyway once I re tightened them it was good to go.. But then it's hard to tell whether the sound is coming from the front or the back on a computer..

11 hours ago, Fish said:

DW 788 Noise problem.MOV

If this works here is a small video of my problem with my saw.  I just replaced all the bearings and sleeves but ended up with this.  I have adjusted everything I can think of, the pivot,  upper tension,  everything I can find to try. I bought the con rod  assembly a short time ago so it should be fine. I haven't replaced the vertical rocker assy. and it was so tight getting it back in I made a small groove  in the part. I filed it smooth. What is strange is the table feels very smooth when it's running.  I have put a little over $200 in this saw and can't afford any more. Getting a new saw is not in the picture. I have so many things I'd like to cut it's driving me crazy not being able to find the fix.  Anyone have any ideas or answers?  I appreciate your help.

""" I have put a little over $200 in this saw and can't afford any more. """

After putting $200 in it I don't see how you can not fix it.

It's always the little things that you didn't check that bite you. Glad you found the problem.

I frequently hold a piece of tubing, one end up near, but not in my ear. Then I move the other end around neardifferent parts of the  machine while listening for the objectionable sound to get louder through the piece of tubing. This helps to find the source of these noises. From there, the real problem is easier to find and usually easy to fix. Sometimes this works very well and sometimes not so well. When it doesn't work I switch to a long screwdriver, hold the end of the handle against my ear, and then touch different parts of the machine with the tip of the screwdriver. Bad bearings in larger machines and motors are easier to find this way.

Charley.

Thank you everyone.   I played with it all weekend.  All day Sunday.  I took it completely apart several times.  I tried all you folks  told me to try and I couldn't get it. I do believe it's in the back so I'm gonna replace a few other things when I get the money.   Thanks again.   

Dan