Update 2 on my Hawk Saw Order...

Iguanadon

So, I decided to call again yesterday to get a status update on my Hawk saw.  Ordered it online June 11 and when I called them a couple of days later to see how long it would be showing as AWAITING FULFILLMENT on the website, they told me it would be a month... ugh... ok, well not great, but whatever...

I called again 2 weeks later to see if things were still on track and that's when I was told that now that they're done harvesting the wheat crops, they're back to making saws (see previous thread) and looking at about 2 weeks.

I wanted an update, so I called yesterday and she said "about 2 weeks" at which point I told her I needed a more definitive date since that's what I had been told a week ago otherwise I'd need to cancel my order and get my money back.  She said she'd check and let me know... 24 hours later, I still hadn't heard anything so I called again... she put me on hold, comes back on and says it's shipping out Monday.  They were having a problem with a part but got it worked out (that doesn't excite me very much LOL)... She'll call me Monday with the tracking number.

I'll wait to receive the tracking number before I get my hopes up of seeing the saw next week.

I realize they're a small operation, I'm not dealing with Dewalt or GE, etc, but... their website really should state an approximate shipping timeline, or simply say "Please call before placing order to check our lead time." especially since the minute you place an order online your credit card is charged.  They have been incredibly nice and friendly, but that only goes so far when they're holding $1700 of my money and I want my merchandise.

I truly hope the saw lives up to my expectations after wearing out 2 brand new Dewalts in just 14 months of cutting animal puzzles I need something that is going to stand up to some serious cutting.

Fingers crossed.

Iggy

50 minutes ago, ekud1946 said:

Don't it have the same size motor as Dewalt?

Duke

Follow this link and scroll down, it gives details about the motor.  http://www.hawkwoodworkingtools.com/WebsitePages/The-Hawk-Scroll-Saw.html

But I haven't had any issues with the motor on my Dewalt's, it's the bearings, sleeves, pivot points, etc that start making a lot of noise after 6 months of intense cutting.  The Hawk requires virtually no maintenance, in theory.

Called Bushton for the first time, wow wow wow. Talked to Nicole and that was one of the best customer service experiences ever. Goodness, they should give that girl a raise. Very nice, very sharp, and best of all, she takes her own medicine. She has been scrolling 5 years and has pretty good general industry knowledge, and is more than willing to chat about it. Unbelievable.

Bought the long leg kit, a new bottom and top clamp. Evidently the bottom clamp is the same as the G4 bottom clamp, and the top clamp is a little different.

Sound like their scroll saw business is doing pretty good with orders coming in fast and furious.  (Fast for a very small business, not compared to Dewalts I'm sure)

Late last fall I ordered some parts for my 1993 Hawk 220VS.. after about 2 weeks and my order status showing "waiting to be fulfilled" I gave them a call.. I will say I was getting quite irritated with how slow things was going with my order.. also wanted to mention that it took me a few days of calling several times a day even to get through.. as I kept getting a busy tone.. was ready to cancel my order.. but once I got through.. to a real person that actually speaks English good, LOL ( try that with DeWalt ) I was very impressed with the information she had given me about my 220VS as well as info about other saws I was looking at etc.. When I complained on SSV or some other scroll saw forum.. I was reminded that I am ordering parts for a 20 - 25 year old saw that has been out of production since the mid 1990's.. They had to set up tooling etc to make the parts I had ordered.. Try that with most any other brand of saw... most other companies will say "sorry we no longer make/stock parts for your model saw...but we can sell you a new saw..

At the time I was talking with them I was looking at a saw that the VS was erratic.. she told me that motor was and VS unit was bad and that the company that made the motor is out of business for those real old saws.. and said that if I wanted to send the saw to them they would retro-fit a new motor on it for about $350.. Don't think any other saw company would do that.. While $350 is steep for that old of a saw and I passed on buying it.. I just wanted to mention that they offered to fix / repair that saw.. instead of trying to sell me their new model.. 

Kevin

1 hour ago, Woodmaster1 said:

I have seen two hawk scroll saws on Craigslist in the last two weeks. They looked to be in great condition one was $200 and the other was $390 not bad for a $1200 dollar saw. Someone has snapped up the $200 saw.

Big difference between the older Hawks and the new ones though.. just saying.. unless you know it's a newer saw at those prices then it's most likely the going price for those older saws.. Many owners of the older Hawks are probably selling them for the newly designed one which brings down the market value of the older ones..as they are plentiful in the used market right now..  

On 7/7/2017 at 1:36 PM, Iguanadon said:

So, I decided to call again yesterday to get a status update on my Hawk saw.  Ordered it online June 11 and when I called them a couple of days later to see how long it would be showing as AWAITING FULFILLMENT on the website, they told me it would be a month... ugh... ok, well not great, but whatever...

I called again 2 weeks later to see if things were still on track and that's when I was told that now that they're done harvesting the wheat crops, they're back to making saws (see previous thread) and looking at about 2 weeks.

I wanted an update, so I called yesterday and she said "about 2 weeks" at which point I told her I needed a more definitive date since that's what I had been told a week ago otherwise I'd need to cancel my order and get my money back.  She said she'd check and let me know... 24 hours later, I still hadn't heard anything so I called again... she put me on hold, comes back on and says it's shipping out Monday.  They were having a problem with a part but got it worked out (that doesn't excite me very much LOL)... She'll call me Monday with the tracking number.

I'll wait to receive the tracking number before I get my hopes up of seeing the saw next week.

I realize they're a small operation, I'm not dealing with Dewalt or GE, etc, but... their website really should state an approximate shipping timeline, or simply say "Please call before placing order to check our lead time." especially since the minute you place an order online your credit card is charged.  They have been incredibly nice and friendly, but that only goes so far when they're holding $1700 of my money and I want my merchandise.

I truly hope the saw lives up to my expectations after wearing out 2 brand new Dewalts in just 14 months of cutting animal puzzles I need something that is going to stand up to some serious cutting.

Fingers crossed.

Iggy

i would want to know which part was causing the problem

I HAVE A TRACKING NUMBER!!!!  UPS delivery scheduled for Friday... Yippee!  Yahoo!!

I probably won't get it early enough to play with it Friday so I'll have to wait til after the farmers market on Saturday to set it up and have some fun.

P.S. the part that was causing the problem was the table... not a moving part, so I'm not concerned.  They had a new company start making the tables and there was a slight problem which has been resolved.

Edited by Iguanadon

3 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

I HAVE A TRACKING NUMBER!!!!  UPS delivery scheduled for Friday... Yippee!  Yahoo!!

I probably won't get it early enough to play with it Friday so I'll have to wait til after the farmers market on Saturday to set it up and have some fun.

P.S. the part that was causing the problem was the table... not a moving part, so I'm not concerned.  They had a new company start making the tables and there was a slight problem which has been resolved.

At last a review and if works for you your going to get me divorced if she sees another saw in the shop