Needing help with a font

jbrowning

Hello everyone, I'm cutting out more race tracks and I'm trying to find a font that would be close to what I'm doing now (which is drawing them in by hand) or if there is a better font you would recommend. I am wanting to make a template out of these so I'm not having to draw them up all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

597886e48b231_PMPWoodtrackandlogo.thumb.jpg.edf7ffabaff5dc66ce816c4f98ce270a.jpg

Thank you

Jim

Edited by jbrowning

Hey Jim,

Just a thought, but have you considered doing the lettering along the bottom, on the inside, so that the shape of the track is fully seen and appreciated?  With the letters so large filling the big area, you kind of lose the shape and look of the full track, at least in my eye anyway.

And that way you could use any font style that you like because you wouldn't be trying to fill an entire space.

Here is a horrible, quick mock-up to try to show what I'm saying.   

2017-07-26_0903

Edited by Iguanadon

17 minutes ago, jbrowning said:

Thanks Iggy, the only reason why I filled up that whole area with the letters was to make sure the letters were supported well. I might not be thinking about this correctly.

If you put the lettering along the bottom, there will be plenty of support as they'll be connected to the bottom of the "track".  Here is something I created and even with only a single "contact" point, it's plenty sturdy.  In your case, the letters don't necessarily need to connect/touch each other, they'll be connected at the bottom of each letter.  This was a test I made a while back in oak, I make them out of poplar now.

IMG_20170726_100854.jpg

go to 1001 fonts or any other site similar to that.  Say for example you are doing a wild west project and want that sort of font.  you can type that in and it will give you a bunch of suggestions that have been tagged as such.  Mid century modern, retro, western, victorian, race track., they are all there, just have to sort through them but its fun to do.