Hawk BM26 - Testing Phase 1

Iguanadon

Phase 1 testing complete... cut 28 kids puzzles out of 3/4" pine using a #3 Olson Mach Speed blade.  Vibration is just about gone after a bit of an adjustment to the main arm assembly I made late yesterday.  I did snap a couple of blades, but I'm sure that was all on me as I get used to installing the blades in the clamps which need to be as close to 90 degrees as possible.  I'm snapping them at the top, so I'll pay more attention and I'm sure it'll become second nature soon enough.

Phase 2 testing later today will be to cut a few of my signature animal puzzles out of 3/4" poplar, including doing inside cuts which will give me practice with the upper blade clamp, over and over and over again.

IMG_20170729_094524.jpg

My first dog puzzle with the new saw... I'm so happy I could almost cry... OK, not really, but I'm very pleased.  As I knew up front, the cutting is slower.  I have not adjusted the pitch of the blade to make it more aggressive yet, I didn't want to make any adjustments until I was sure everything else is working properly so that I didn't end up having to figure out if something I did was causing an issue.  

That puzzle required 7 inside cuts and I had no trouble bottom feeding as I always did with my Dewalt.  I won't have any issue with that at all.

Just the fact the puzzle pieces slide in from either side is a HUGE thing and always my fear every time I crank up a new saw out of the box.

IMG_20170729_133328.jpg

Edited by Iguanadon

Just now, Scrappile said:

Sounding good.  Maybe try a little more aggressive blade if there is one.  I don't know what you use, but that Pegas Modified Geometry is very aggressive, in my opinion.

I use Olson Mach Speed (#3)... Have you used them before to compare to the Pegas?

2 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

I use Olson Mach Speed (#3)... Have you used them before to compare to the Pegas?

No, I have never tried an Olsen blade.  I should, maybe.  I have always liked the Flying Dutchman blades.  Tried the Pegas MG blades and found them too aggressive for most of what I do.  However I tried some of their other blades and found the double skip that I really like for my work.

39 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

No, I have never tried an Olsen blade.  I should, maybe.  I have always liked the Flying Dutchman blades.  Tried the Pegas MG blades and found them too aggressive for most of what I do.  However I tried some of their other blades and found the double skip that I really like for my work.

Thanks.  I'll order some Pegas right now and give them a try.

I love Amazon... Just ordered a variety pack of the Pegas Modified Geometry blades so I can try various sizes. (I'll buy them by the gross from a scroll shop if I like them.)

If I like them, someone is going to need to buy the 2 gross of Olson Mach Speed blades I have on hand.  :razz:

Edited by Iguanadon

I just finished cutting the outlines of 11 animal puzzles in poplar and used just 1 blade.  I do like the machine, it's smooth.  I look forward to trying the Pegas blades when they come so that maybe I can gain back a little bit of speed.  Going slow is actually nice and soothing, so I'm not complaining.  An extra minute to cut each one is not an issue.

Cutting curves and angles with this saw is fabulous.  Tight turns are a breeze and smooth as silk.

I will say, because of the blade breakage issue I was having with the first saw, I've been very paranoid... When a blade snaps on this machine it scares the crap out of ya.  LOL  Nice to know I don't need to worry about it any longer.

Scott, I've use the Mach blades way back when ( 2009 ish ) I liked the FD Ultra reverse better back then.. now I don't care for the FD blades all that much.. those Pegas MG blades are awesome cutting compared to any blade I have used ( I've tried a lot of blades over the years)  I however flip back and forth with FD blades when using my DeWalt as the Pegas are a little aggressive on that saw.. just depends on what I am cutting what blade I use when sawing with the 788... I found I like best is the pegas blades while running my Hawk as they are faster cutting.. yet I can leave the blade adjustment on the Hawk at a not very aggressive so i can do the nice smooth cutting corners etc with ease yet cut fairly fast.. I think you'll probably love those blades.. I'd wait to make any adjustment to your blade aggressiveness until after you run those pegas..   JMO

BTW, glad you are starting to like your new saw.. I have to admit I felt bad at first about the first Hawk.. as I was one steering you toward the Hawk..  

The assortment of blades like you ordered is a very good way to go.  From that set I quickly learned which Pegas MG blade I liked and which did not work for me.  Saved me money.  From there I started ordering a dozen or so of the Pegas blades that were not the MG ones and found the ones I really like for other cuttings.  A good place to order from is:

http://www.dndsawbladesonline.com/

real good/quick service.

20 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Iggy,

put that new Hawk to a real test and cut some puzzles from hard maple, cherry, and walnut!

Any cheap saw like a Ryobi can cut poplar and pine.

bb

LOL, I tried black walnut a while back and ended up with kindling... I know my limitations, not necessarily the saws limitations.  :-)

16 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Phase 1 testing complete... cut 28 kids puzzles out of 3/4" pine using a #3 Olson Mach Speed blade.  Vibration is just about gone after a bit of an adjustment to the main arm assembly I made late yesterday.  I did snap a couple of blades, but I'm sure that was all on me as I get used to installing the blades in the clamps which need to be as close to 90 degrees as possible.  I'm snapping them at the top, so I'll pay more attention and I'm sure it'll become second nature soon enough.

Phase 2 testing later today will be to cut a few of my signature animal puzzles out of 3/4" poplar, including doing inside cuts which will give me practice with the upper blade clamp, over and over and over again.

IMG_20170729_094524.jpg

go brother go ,nothing holds your scrolling back!