problems with SIP 16" scroll saw

don watson

Hi All,

I am having a problem with a SIP 16" scroll saw.

When I move the blade from the down to the up position it moves toward the front of the saw about 0.040"

When I move the blade from the down to the up position it moves it also move about 0.040".

Can this be rectified or is the machine for the scrap heap ??

Any thoughts appreciated.

Don W

Thanks JOE_M. Will have a look through this later.

take care

Don W

EDIT I have had a look and it is a very good explanation. It also leads to a 4 part series from the Gwinnett Woodworkers about stripping and maintenance of the De Walt 788 which I will look at later.

Edited by don watson
added EDIT after having a look

I had heard of the 4 part video series from Gwinnett Woodworkers, but trying to watch it on my computer was SO slow, so I looked them up and found a contact number.  I called and discussed it with them.  Ended up sending them a $20 donation to their club and they sent me the entire series on a DVD.  Makes it much easier.

Nancy

I have had a look  at the saw and found the bottom arm seems t be a fixed length and is not adjustable.

The top arm, I will need to remove the plastic cover with the connections for the speed, on/ and off switches etc. I will see if there is anything under there that can be adjusted.

I can't see what is causing this fore and aft movement or the sideways movement.

thanks again

Don W

bottom_arm.jpg

top_arm.jpg

Thanks everyone,

I have worked out the problem (with help from a good friend).

The blade operating mechanism is contained in a 'C' shaped casting and this casting is bolted to the rear of the cast iron base. The left hand side of the first picture above shows the 'C' frame attached to the base. (Also in the centre of this picture is the link between the motor and the arm).

This 'C' frame is bolted to the base with 4 hex head 8mm bolts. When the table is mounted on the machine, I can shim the the 'C' frame to square the blade to the table in the left/right direction

I can also shim front or back of these 8mm bolts to square the blade in a fore/aft direction.

Hopefully this should solve the problem. I am sorry there is no update pictures but it is still raining out and I don't feel in rush. I am waiting on a delivery of Loctite Threadlock before final assembly

take care

Don W