foot switch

Greasemonkeyrednecks suggestion to get a foot switch for your scrollsaw made me laugh quite a while ago .I ran across a foot switch for 3.95 at wall mart .At that price i could not go wrong.It's 15 amp too.I glued it to a 3/8th" board and could not live with out one .It really makes scrolling that much better.One less operation to do when changeing blades alot as i do.My next to do item is to figure out how to keep the dust blower i one spot to as i allways have to adjust it when changeing blades.that makes 2 less things to do .i have an electronic friend that can't wait for the solder to heat up to solder so he can go on with the repairs and fix something.A solder iron that stays on is a quick fix for him. :)

I haven't tried a foot switch but I believe that I will purchase one since I seen this tip in one of the scroll mags recently. The person said to obtain a 3 way electric plug and plug that into the foot switch than plug the scroll saw into the plug than plug the foot switch into the outlet. You than obtain an electric clock ( cannot be a ditatal clock) plug that into the 3 way and set the hands to 12 o'clock, this will give you a way of knowing how long it takes to cut a project as the clock will start and stop as you use the foot switch to start and stop the saw.I am sure this has been used before but first time I have seen it in print.

Ervin

wow the clock idea is a great one .Everybody asks me how long it took to cut that one and i allways have to give the same answer .Too long.This will be a great reference to log up the times for craft shows.Why wal-mart has the foot switct next to the clothes irons is beyond me.there's no light on it to let you know it's off .And with a heating element you would want to know it is off before walking away.This forum is invaluable for the wealth of needed short cuts for the scroller.Allmost like a bible! :) I gotta go find a clock now!!!

It is probley a little difficult to find an electric clock anymore in the retail stores. Try the second hand stores or the restore stores( thats what they are known as here ) where you can find items for homes that are still useable but out of date. If all else fails, check out Klockit.com, they have the electric movements to build your own and are not that expensive. The movement could be used to replace the battery movement in the inexpensive clocks found at Wal Mart, Target, etc. Happy hunting; it might be worth it!!

Ervin

I definitely would not want to do with out mine its like a 3rd hand.John aka qlty
There's no better way to put it , a third hand> I would never be without my foot switch. Harbor Frieght is a great place to buy a foot switch at a great price if you have one of these stores close to you . I brought one at another mail order store and payed shipping and I feel like I got suckered :cry::sneak: > my fault > so price around , later I brought another one at Harbor Frieght dirt cheap > the same thing made over seas . Sometimes when we get in a rush we make wrong decisions and give to much ...........Marshall :roll:

Why wal-mart has the foot switct next to the clothes irons is beyond me.there's no light on it to let you know it's off .And with a heating element you would want to know it is off before walking away.!!

They're in Wal-Mart near the irons, sewing machines, and such. The foot switch you have is actually made for a sewing machine. Nowadays, most sewing machines come with a foot switch. Years ago though, when it was a new idea, the sewing machine foot switch was an optional accessory you could buy. I checked. The Wal-Mart here doesn't carry them, but they can order it if I wanted.

The sewing machine foot switch will work great, with only one problem. Most of them are not sealed like the scrollers foot switches. The reason this is a consideration is that as a scroller, we deal with sawdust. Sewing machines aren't used much around such flameable things such as sawdust, so they weren't sealed. This isn't a problem. Just from time to time, either blow the dust out of the switch with an air hose. If you don't have access to an airhose, then unoplug it, turn it every wich away while shaking it and get the sawdust out. No big deal.

I can't guarantee this is the case with your foot switch. You'll just have to check it out. There's two sewing machine foot switches here that I just went and checked. My grandmother's from years ago, it's not sealed. My wife's sewing machine switch, which is much newer, is sealed.

That's good news greasemonkeyred neck.The bad news is i lied about where i bought the foot switch.I was in BIG LOTS looking for the head band flash light for 5 buchs and right next to it was the $3.00 foot switch i was talking about on sale from $5.50 to $3.00.Guess i was confused where i bought it .At half a hundred years old i guess it can be expected. :)i'm so glad i read your suggestion about the foot switch.THANKS!

• 2 months later...

Foot switch is an awesome idea, saw it on Steve Good's site. Also saw somewhere, maybe Steve's site, to get the 3 prong plug and plug in my wet/dry vac, that way it'll only come on when I'm cutting. I also took the pedal out and used it on my belt sander. Had a couple chairs and a table my parents wanted me to wood burn on, tipped my saw on its side and locked the trigger then used the pedal whenever I wanted to sand any areas, came out great and made it easy to change the sanding belts.

Dave

tipped my saw on its side and locked the trigger then used the pedal whenever I wanted to sand any areasDave

Tipped what saw on its side? And sanded? Please explain this to me. I'm always open to new technuque ideas. Are you talking about sanding strips for your scroll saw? The reason I'm asking, I'm hoping you were talking about sanding with a table saw. Bear with me. No I haven't lost my mind. I read somewhere in an old magazine, which I can't seem to locate now that my sons got interested in them, about sticking a stick on sanding disk to an old table saw blade, prefereably on an old second saw that's not being used, and using it as a nifty sander. When I read your post, I thought about this for the first time in ages. Now, I read this in a magazine from like the fifties and have never actually talked to anyone who's tried it. I've got three different stationary disk sanders. I just would like to know how that old idea worked.

I'll bet your talking about a scroll saw though aren't you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am still using the factory switch, but I just looked at harbour freight online they have 2 switches, one is maintained (12$) and the other is momentary ($9).

the difference is maintained is push one is on push again is off, momentary is push on let off turns the power off. comes with a 7 foot cord and is 120V 15 amp. for that price it's at least worth a try.

anything to make things go a little quicker.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-main ... 96618.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/momentary- ... 96619.html

I am still using the factory switch, but I just looked at harbour freight online they have 2 switches, one is maintained (12$) and the other is momentary ($9).

the difference is maintained is push one is on push again is off, momentary is push on let off turns the power off. comes with a 7 foot cord and is 120V 15 amp. for that price it's at least worth a try.

anything to make things go a little quicker.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-main ... 96618.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/momentary- ... 96619.html

I am glad to see your post Mike . I bought a foot switch at my local woodcraft store and it was a momentary switch and I did not like having to hold it down, because I cut standing up and I use mainly 2/0 scrollsaw blades . Not very good trying to hold your foot on a switch and move aruond with the wood. I returned it and I got the idea of using a foot switch from my christmas tree lights The ones you plug lights in and step on to turn lights on. this has worked great for me but I will have to go to my local harbor freight and pick up one of those maintained switches , Thanks for tip Eagledrum70 :thumbs: