Hawk BM26 - We have liftoff!

Iguanadon

Good news... Finally...

As I reported recently, Nilus had narrowed down the issues I was having with this saw to the lower arm and sent me a replacement which I received last week.  I installed it, ran a couple of quick tests and felt good about it.  Today, I put it to the full test and I'm happy to report that all seems good.  I even moved it into my cutting area and moved the DeWalt out.  I've been cutting kids puzzles with it all day as I wanted to test it on "easy" stuff... 3/4" pine and no real tight turns/cuts.  Every puzzle piece slides in an out both ways, the saw has only the slightest vibration which isn't an issue but I may try to tweak it another time.

The few times I did have tight turns/angles to make, the Hawk cut them perfectly and tighter than I ever could on my DeWalt.

The weirdest thing I'm having to get used to is the fact that the Hawk actually cuts truly STRAIGHT.  The DeWalt's (all 3 of them that I have), you had to kind of adjust your angle when cutting a straight line, almost like a natural "drift".  I kept getting off my lines with the Hawk at first cuz the thing cuts perfectly straight up a line.  I hope that makes sense, it's hard to describe.  

Oh, while I'm thinking about it... whoever recommended the Pegas Modified Geometry blades to use with the Hawk because it tends to cut slower, those blades are FABULOUS, they definitely are more aggressive.  Not sure I'd want to try them on my DeWalt though.  LOL  They cut FAST.  On the Hawk it helps re-gain some of the speed lost as compared to the DeWalt.  As a reminder, the Hawk does have an adjustment in which you can increase the aggressiveness of the cut by adjusting the forward pitch of the blade, but you can not do that if you cut puzzles, it screws them up big time.  As to the Pegas blades, I bought a sample pack from Amazon if anyone else is interested in trying them.  https://www.amazon.com/Pegas-Modified-Geometry-Pinless-Variety/dp/B01B8PQG76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503347678&sr=8-1&keywords=pegas+geometry

I'll be ordering a couple gross of the #3's and the #5's as soon as I'm done typing this update.  This appears to be the best pricing I've found.  http://www.dndsawbladesonline.com/page/79818204

Anyway, I am one happy Iggy right now.  I have 30 more kid puzzles to cut tomorrow and then I'm DONE and won't cut again for over a week.  I have the mega event this weekend and then I have to catch a 7am flight to Austin, TX Monday morning for business and will get home Wednesday night.  I'm looking forward to taking a break from cutting... it's been one hell of a 3 months of cutting 550 puzzles in advance of this event... plus what I was selling on a weekly basis.

I'll provide updates if anything changes, but right now all is good.  I still need to cut some of my regular animal puzzles out of poplar to get a true feel for things.

Iggy

Edited by Iguanadon

8 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Anyway, I am one happy Iggy right now.

Fantastic deal Sir.

You started to have me worried because I am looking to replace my Porter Cable and it was down to  the Hawk and the Seyco now I just have to figure which one.

Once again glad to read it is all going together like one of your marvelous puzzles.

Well, Iggy, this was really a joy to read.  So glad it appears to be working out, you really deserve it being you appear to be  a very patient person. 

For what it is worth, I think all scroll saws, as do band saws have a drift tendency.  It is a natural thing.  Some more than others.  I have a Hegner and it has less than any other saw I have owned, but I attribute that to the less forward/back motion on the saw, as your Hawk would have.  I also tried the Pegas MG blades and they cut a straighter line, i.e. less drift than any other blade I have used.  So, it must mean that the blade has a part, maybe the most part in the drift.  I do not know.  For my type of scrolling, the Pegas MG blades were too aggressive but I also tried some of their other blades and really liked them.  Fact they may have replaced my favorite FD blades that I have used for a long time.

Anyway, I am real happy for you.  Life is great!

59 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Good news... Finally...

As I reported recently, Nilus had narrowed down the issues I was having with this saw to the lower arm and sent me a replacement which I received last week.  I installed it, ran a couple of quick tests and felt good about it.  Today, I put it to the full test and I'm happy to report that all seems good.  I even moved it into my cutting area and moved the DeWalt out.  I've been cutting kids puzzles with it all day as I wanted to test it on "easy" stuff... 3/4" pine and no real tight turns/cuts.  Every puzzle piece slides in an out both ways, the saw has only the slightest vibration which isn't an issue but I may try to tweak it another time.

The few times I did have tight turns/angles to make, the Hawk cut them perfectly and tighter than I ever could on my DeWalt.

The weirdest thing I'm having to get used to is the fact that the Hawk actually cuts truly STRAIGHT.  The DeWalt's (all 3 of them that I have), you had to kind of adjust your angle when cutting a straight line, almost like a natural "drift".  I kept getting off my lines with the Hawk at first cuz the thing cuts perfectly straight up a line.  I hope that makes sense, it's hard to describe.  

Oh, while I'm thinking about it... whoever recommended the Pegas Advanced Geometry blades to use with the Hawk because it tends to cut slower, those blades are FABULOUS, they definitely are more aggressive.  Not sure I'd want to try them on my DeWalt though.  LOL  They cut FAST.  On the Hawk it helps re-gain some of the speed lost as compared to the DeWalt.  As a reminder, the Hawk does have an adjustment in which you can increase the aggressiveness of the cut, but you can not do that if you cut puzzles, it screws them up big time.  I bought a sample pack from Amazon if anyone else is interested in trying them.  https://www.amazon.com/Pegas-Modified-Geometry-Pinless-Variety/dp/B01B8PQG76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503347678&sr=8-1&keywords=pegas+geometry

I'll be ordering a couple gross of the #3's and the #5's as soon as I'm done typing this update.  This appears to be the best pricing I've found.  http://www.dndsawbladesonline.com/page/79818204

Anyway, I am one happy Iggy right now.  I have 30 more kid puzzles to cut tomorrow and then I'm DONE and won't cut again for over a week.  I have the mega event this weekend and then I have to catch a 7am flight to Austin, TX Monday morning for business and will get home Wednesday night.  I'm looking forward to taking a break from cutting... it's been one hell of a 3 months of cutting 550 puzzles in advance of this event... plus what I was selling on a weekly basis.

I'll provide updates if anything changes, but right now all is good.  I still need to cut some of my regular animal puzzles out of poplar to get a true feel for things.

Iggy

Maybe I am missing something here.. but I would think you should be able to adjust that cut on the Hawk to be more aggressive or faster cutting even with cutting puzzles.. Seems like if the Dewalts have that motion and the puzzles are fine with that.. then that Hawk should too... Now.. not saying you can adjust it all the way because I think the Hawk has quite a large amount of adjustment to it.. but I see no reason why you couldn't do a little adjustment.. maybe measure your forward back motion of the Dewalt.. then shoot for that same amount on the Hawk? 

For what it's worth... on my Ultra when I cut a couple puzzles on it.. I used the aggressive setting.. which is a little more aggressive than my DeWallt is.. and my puzzles slide out the bottom and in at the top as well.. I really question that the issue you had before with this was something to do with the issue with the arm too?

Kevin

9 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Maybe I am missing something here.. but I would think you should be able to adjust that cut on the Hawk to be more aggressive or faster cutting even with cutting puzzles.. Seems like if the Dewalts have that motion and the puzzles are fine with that.. then that Hawk should too... Now.. not saying you can adjust it all the way because I think the Hawk has quite a large amount of adjustment to it.. but I see no reason why you couldn't do a little adjustment.. maybe measure your forward back motion of the Dewalt.. then shoot for that same amount on the Hawk? 

For what it's worth... on my Ultra when I cut a couple puzzles on it.. I used the aggressive setting.. which is a little more aggressive than my DeWallt is.. and my puzzles slide out the bottom and in at the top as well.. I really question that the issue you had before with this was something to do with the issue with the arm too?

Kevin

Hey Kevin, you may have a valid point and I need to test the aggressive setting again.  When I did toy with it before, it didn't really speed up the cutting that much anyway.  But I will give it a try and will let you know the results.

1 hour ago, Iguanadon said:

Hey Kevin, you may have a valid point and I need to test the aggressive setting again.  When I did toy with it before, it didn't really speed up the cutting that much anyway.  But I will give it a try and will let you know the results.

You are right about it not speeding up too much.. so with that said maybe you will be best off to leave it as is.. I find with mine that the cutting is much more enjoyable ( smoother going ) with it in the less aggressive position.. Actually wish I had a third position on mine to be in between the two that I have because I find the one is not aggressive enough and the other is too aggressive.. which is why I've been really thinking about selling the saws I have for a new one like you have..  :) 

Glad you are finally enjoying your new saw..

I think the "drift" you are taking about is from how the blades are made. FD blades I use with my EX 21you have to hold the line at an angle to make up for the blade drift. I use Pegas MG #5 in the same saw there isn't any drift. Like you said it takes getting use to not holding pattern at an angle.  So I don't think it has anything to do with the saw you use.  Can't beat MG for 3/4" stuff. 

3 minutes ago, trackman said:

I think the "drift" you are taking about is from how the blades are made. FD blades I use with my EX 21you have to hold the line at an angle to make up for the blade drift. I use Pegas MG #5 in the same saw there isn't any drift. Like you said it takes getting use to not holding pattern at an angle.  So I don't think it has anything to do with the saw you use.  Can't beat MG for 3/4" stuff. 

I actually had the same effect with the Olson blades I've always used in my DeWalt.  Didn't notice any difference between the Olson and the Pegas when I made the switch.

Rolf may jump in here later. But I've found the deeper the aggression is set, the faster & easier it will cut, & cleaner. Especially in hardwood. My BM - 26 has given me good service to this point. I use Olson & FD blades. Mostly skip tooth & polar blades. I don't cut much of anything under 1/2" thick,  & all hardwoods. So unless I get into a lot of tight turns, I don't adjust the aggression much. Iggy, I'm happy to hear ya finally got your Hawk up & runnin'!

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

4 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Good news... Finally...

Oh, while I'm thinking about it... whoever recommended the Pegas Advanced Geometry blades to use with the Hawk because it tends to cut slower, those blades are FABULOUS, they definitely are more aggressive.  Not sure I'd want to try them on my DeWalt though.  LOL  They cut FAST.  On the Hawk it helps re-gain some of the speed lost as compared to the DeWalt.  As a reminder, the Hawk does have an adjustment in which you can increase the aggressiveness of the cut by adjusting the forward pitch of the blade, but you can not do that if you cut puzzles, it screws them up big time.  As to the Pegas blades, I bought a sample pack from Amazon if anyone else is interested in trying them.  https://www.amazon.com/Pegas-Modified-Geometry-Pinless-Variety/dp/B01B8PQG76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503347678&sr=8-1&keywords=pegas+geometry

Iggy

Scott that is where I buy my Pegas blades and so far they give good service. Glad you got the Hawk going, I was beginning to worry.

56 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

Glad to hear that you got your saw up and running. I was kind of bothered by your experience because it is one that I am considering.

Hey Dave, as I've chronicled throughout the process, it was a bit challenging.  The key thing I kept in mind is that Bushton Manufacturing is a small business in the truest sense of the term.  I think they are literally 5 or 6 people.  But they aren't just slapping together a machine, Nilus also designed it.  I happened to catch them at an interesting time in that they are a working wheat farm and they were in the middle of harvest when I placed my order and then one of their employees, Nikole (Nilus's daughter) had a baby and one of their key people, Scott, is her husband so they've both been focused on their family.

All that being said... they absolutely wanted to be sure to get things right.  I feel as though if I have any problems with the saw, I know I can contact them and they'll work hard to figure out and resolve it.  I look forward to putting the saw to a more thorough test over the next couple of months to see how it handles my workload.  Although, I'm looking forward to a bit of down time right now.  :-) 

I tried to be fair, patient and not talk bad about them throughout the buying process.  I certainly got frustrated a couple of times, but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'd work it all out.  And I truly believe that my situation was a very rare event with 2 saws having issues back to back.

Iggy

Glad to hear they have been able to resolve your problems with your new saw Scott.  Look forward to hearing more once you have had time to play with it.  Enjoy your break away from it though and safe travels on your business trip. Good luck with the show this weekend and look forward to hearing how it all goes.

On 8/21/2017 at 3:43 PM, Iguanadon said:

Good news... Finally...

Oh, while I'm thinking about it... whoever recommended the Pegas Modified Geometry blades to use with the Hawk because it tends to cut slower, those blades are FABULOUS, they definitely are more aggressive.  Not sure I'd want to try them on my DeWalt though.  LOL  They cut FAST.  On the Hawk it helps re-gain some of the speed lost as compared to the DeWalt.  As a reminder, the Hawk does have an adjustment in which you can increase the aggressiveness of the cut by adjusting the forward pitch of the blade, but you can not do that if you cut puzzles, it screws them up big time.  As to the Pegas blades, I bought a sample pack from Amazon if anyone else is interested in trying them.  https://www.amazon.com/Pegas-Modified-Geometry-Pinless-Variety/dp/B01B8PQG76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503347678&sr=8-1&keywords=pegas+geometry

Iggy

I've always noticed that different blades and brands are the cause of my wanderings off the line .That's one of the reasons i stay with Flying dutchman's blades.500 puzzles  ?What do you do for fun?