Osage Orange

blame

Quite a few of those trees around here too. We all used to call them "horse apple" trees because of the fruit. Have no idea if horses would eat them or not, but you haven't been in a war until you have a horse apple fight. lol Another name is

bois 'd arc or something like that.

Fran

We call them horse apple trees too. The fruit is just nasty stuff and apparently only a few animals can eat them. There is some research going on with them though..........they apparently to help get rid of cockroaches, spiders, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage-orange.

Also there is research to suggest it may help Alzheimers

http://www.tamus.edu/systemwide/06/03/r ... fruit.html

We have some horrible flying roaches here and I've thought about gathering the fruit and surrounding my house with them! You should see the nasty things when it's really humid.........they are all over trees, gates, etc... EWWWW NASTY! I hate bugs!

I don't think I'd care to get in a war with them.............ewwwww! LOL.

Christina

When I would walk to school I would always pass a group of trees lining approximately three city blocks. Evidently they were Osage Orange trees. I called the fruit "brains." I would on occasion throw the brains down the street to watch them explode! All I really remember about those trees is that they created quite a mess. I must say though, the wood is very nice looking. As fas as it repelling bugs, that ugly fruit repels me.

My wife would use it to clobber me over the head. Maybe it's best I don't get a lathe. ;) That turned out really nice. Its a simple wood grain, but very effective. I think I like it somewhat understated. Especially for a mallet or bowl or something utilitarian. Is it dense enough? Or is it soft like pine?

its very hard where you can dent pine with your finger nail you cant on hedge and the longer it is around the harder it gets i've actually cut some thats been around drying for over 20 years and without carbide tipped chains we wouldnt of got it cut up. that carbide chain cost $98 and we only used it on 4 logs when we were done i dont think it would of cut green wood without being resharpened!!!

Boy I agree with you Rick.......it repels me too! It does look like brains sorta...........ewww!

Blame that is a beautiful mallet...........I need one of those for my leather tooling lol.......I bet I couldn't beat that one up! I'm not crazy about the yellow or orange color of the wood. But I can see it would make really great stuff since it's so hard. Glad I'm not planning to have to cut any anytime soon though............geez! I would think it would be great used in some intarsia projects too........for the color! I also think it would make a great rolling pin.........I make a lot of pies, used to make them for restaurants when I lived in Missouri...........boy I coulda used a good rolling pin then lol. Thanks for sharing your mallet with us.

Christina