Animal "Puzzles"

JOE_M

Not really my thing but I was babysitting a cnc router a few weeks ago so I cut out about 20 of these on the scroll saw to kill time, using common pine I had laying around. Here's half, the rest are drying in the workshop. The book advertised "complete instructions" and the instructions for the colors were "this is a trade secret." That was probably the best written part of the book, which is now in the garbage. I can't really tell what level they're geared for - there is no continuity between animals - but they're going to a 4-1/2 year old.

Colors are diluted acrylics, wood dyes, wood stains, and whatever else I had in the shop. Finish is just a couple shots of lacquer. I tried the cut shellac people suggested, it just ran right off. I tried dipping  shellac straight out of the can, it stuck but was very rough and impossible to sand the edges smooth. I tried dipping in tung oil and the tung oil turned grayish purple green and ran off, except for the nooks and crannies where it stuck in big blobs that made it impossible to fit the pieces together until I scraped them off. On the bright side, I got rid of a few cans of finish that were just going stale on the shelf.

animal puzzles.jpg

Edited by JOE_M
added the letter e because pin isn't a type of wood, but pine is.

2 hours ago, JOE_M said:

Not really my thing but I was babysitting a cnc router a few weeks ago so I cut out about 20 of these on the scroll saw to kill time, using common pine I had laying around. Here's half, the rest are drying in the workshop. The book advertised "complete instructions" and the instructions for the colors were "this is a trade secret." That was probably the best written part of the book, which is now in the garbage. I can't really tell what level they're geared for - there is no continuity between animals - but they're going to a 4-1/2 year old.

Colors are diluted acrylics, wood dyes, wood stains, and whatever else I had in the shop. Finish is just a couple shots of lacquer. I tried the cut shellac people suggested, it just ran right off. I tried dipping  shellac straight out of the can, it stuck but was very rough and impossible to sand the edges smooth. I tried dipping in tung oil and the tung oil turned grayish purple green and ran off, except for the nooks and crannies where it stuck in big blobs that made it impossible to fit the pieces together until I scraped them off. On the bright side, I got rid of a few cans of finish that were just going stale on the shelf.

animal puzzles.jpg

Whoa!Eureka! these are top of the line!