Black Friday Shopping In August

kmmcrafts

So I went to the Wood Expo at LL Johnson Lumber in Charlotte Mi. yesterday.. they have this wood expo every year and always run some good deals on tools and lumber.. have several people doing demos etc.

Anyway, I've never really purchased much at the expo so I am not certain if it works like this all the time or was the first time.. anyway they have small packs ( bundle packs ) of lumber typically around 30bft. + or - all of them are 3/4" boards and anywhere from 4ft - 7ft. long. People interested in packs was supposed to grab a salesman and the salesman was supposed to take off the tags and write sold too on the tag on the lumber.. there was shoppers doing this without permission.. there was almost some pushing / shoving in my opinion.. it was crazy.. I was looking at a bundle pack and had it picked up to look at the boards on the bottom side of the stack and some guy come up and took the tag off and wrote his name on it while I was holding it up in the air looking at it. LOL 

I ended up getting three bundles cherry, oak, and poplar. Anyway the sales guy writes out a ticket for you to take up and pay for your lumber then they move the lumber to a warehouse that you drive up to when you're ready to leave to pick up your order. After paying I browsed around for a couple hours.. When it was time to go I drive to the warehouse to get my lumber and low and behold.. one of my stacks was no where to be found.. they think someone stole it.. what the heck.. I know there are thieves in every corner of this earth.. but always thought that in the woodworking communities clubs etc most everyone was good people.. 

Iggy, it wasn't you that stole my Poplar bundle was it.. Just joking I'm pretty sure Iggy is a much better person than that..  LOL I bought a very small pack.. I can't even remember how many bdft. it was.. I just know it had some nice wide boards on it and the price was $36.. I want to say it was 27bdft. anyway whoever took it got it for free but in return for my inconvenience the salesman gave me a 44bdft bundle one. Now I wish they would have stole the others too. :)   

Anyway, I am not sure I will go to this event for the lumber prices again.. just too much craziness going on for my taste.. Sales guy did say the second day it's not quite so crazy..  I may go back today just to see whats going on.. Maybe buy more lumber.. but not it its a madhouse again. Would have bought much more than I did.. but.. I'd had enough of idiots steeling the tags etc off the boards your inspecting.. LOL  

I know just what you mean Kevin.   Your experience reminded me of one of mine.   Many years ago I was in our local Kmart when they announced a blue light special on men's shirts.   I was in the area so I proceeded over to the table where the shirts were displayed.   I picked up one of the shirts to check the size and the next thing I know a lady is jerking it right out of my hands.   What can you say, some peoples kids!   True story.

Edited by stoney

If I had it in my hand and a person did that, there would more than likely be a big fight. I don't take kindly to that kind of bull, and I stand my ground. I don't know what it is about people nowadays, there's lots of them who have no manners.

Len

P.S. Kevin, I'm waiting on the bill, send it to lhmullin@xplornet.com, thanks.

Yeah I am not much of one to go to crowded places because the bigger the crowd the more idiots there are like this.. LOL .. Over the years I've rarely purchased any lumber because my brother owns a big lumber mill.. and I've been lucky enough to grab what I need from him.. my issue with getting it from my brother is I have to stand there and pick it off the scrap belt before it goes into the chipper.. he has the workers chip anything under 36" long. Plus it's green and I have to wait for it to dry out.. plane it and he cuts in no meaningful order... ie not all one type of wood.. he may only cut cherry or oak a few times a month or maybe that is all he is cutting.. so it's time consuming for me to stand there when I am specifically looking for one type of wood.. I might have to stand there a week to get that cherry that I am low on.. I have asked him to have the workers save a few out for me and he has finally started listening to my request.. I do have quite a lot of lumber on hand but it all needs stickered and dried.. so hoping I won't need to buy lumber like this again. 

Just now, kmmcrafts said:

So I went to the Wood Expo at LL Johnson Lumber in Charlotte Mi. yesterday.. they have this wood expo every year and always run some good deals on tools and lumber.. have several people doing demos etc.

Anyway, I've never really purchased much at the expo so I am not certain if it works like this all the time or was the first time.. anyway they have small packs ( bundle packs ) of lumber typically around 30bft. + or - all of them are 3/4" boards and anywhere from 4ft - 7ft. long. People interested in packs was supposed to grab a salesman and the salesman was supposed to take off the tags and write sold too on the tag on the lumber.. there was shoppers doing this without permission.. there was almost some pushing / shoving in my opinion.. it was crazy.. I was looking at a bundle pack and had it picked up to look at the boards on the bottom side of the stack and some guy come up and took the tag off and wrote his name on it while I was holding it up in the air looking at it. LOL 

I ended up getting three bundles cherry, oak, and poplar. Anyway the sales guy writes out a ticket for you to take up and pay for your lumber then they move the lumber to a warehouse that you drive up to when you're ready to leave to pick up your order. After paying I browsed around for a couple hours.. When it was time to go I drive to the warehouse to get my lumber and low and behold.. one of my stacks was no where to be found.. they think someone stole it.. what the heck.. I know there are thieves in every corner of this earth.. but always thought that in the woodworking communities clubs etc most everyone was good people.. 

Iggy, it wasn't you that stole my Poplar bundle was it.. Just joking I'm pretty sure Iggy is a much better person than that..  LOL I bought a very small pack.. I can't even remember how many bdft. it was.. I just know it had some nice wide boards on it and the price was $36.. I want to say it was 27bdft. anyway whoever took it got it for free but in return for my inconvenience the salesman gave me a 44bdft bundle one. Now I wish they would have stole the others too. :)   

Anyway, I am not sure I will go to this event for the lumber prices again.. just too much craziness going on for my taste.. Sales guy did say the second day it's not quite so crazy..  I may go back today just to see whats going on.. Maybe buy more lumber.. but not it its a madhouse again. Would have bought much more than I did.. but.. I'd had enough of idiots steeling the tags etc off the boards your inspecting.. LOL  

honesty is a thing of the past,that's why I'm doing so bad I'm too honest  but that's me i will not change!