Am I expecting unreasonable cutting speed

zimmerstutzen

I have both a variable speed Skil 16 inch and an older RBI non-variable speed saw.  When I cut 1/2 plywood, it seems to take forever.  I mean maybe 2 inches a minute in a straight line.  (I could cut faster with a coping saw.).  Tried different blades.  Of course thin stock cuts faster but still kind of slower than what I expected.  I need to cut some 1/2 inch sugar maple and I think my dog will collect social security before I am done.   I realize speed makes for mistakes, but so does the slow boredom.   My 1940's  DuMor scroll saw with ancient pinned blades cuts much faster.  What am I missing.    

Plywood wood will cut slower, depending on its thickness. Plywood is several layers of glue & thin wpod pressed together. Depending on what blade you're using, its not going to cut extremely fast, in my experience. I've been at this 25 years, & plywood is not the best to use for any project, unless it's 1/4". The plywood will dull your blade pretty fast bcause of the layers of glue. If you're cutting 1/2" or so, try a #4 or #5. Otherwise if it's 1/4", use a # 2. Try a polar blade. It'll cut better for you.

As mention plywood is not the best material because of the different layers and grain direction keeps varying plus the glue which dulls the blade. A larger blade such as a #7 maybe of help if not too intricate of a pattern. Solid woods will cut faster unless they are exotics that are hard and dense and then they will burn. Maybe let your dog try and you collect social security. Speed of the saw is not the answer. Blade and material are. There are precision blades out there that are super sharp and will cut faster. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN