Wood and Finish ??

ThCubed

I am going to make a windmill for my neighbor. This will be my first one. But I don't know what kind of wood to use, since it will be outside in the direct sun almost all the time. Also I don't know what type of finish to put on it. I have never made outdoor items before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you, Terry

If its going to be painted, I'd use some pressure treated lumber you'd make decks out of. The pressure treated pine comes to mind (greenish tint to it). You can also find plywood for outdoor use too. If you want the look of natural wood, I'd either use cedar or redwood. You can use hardwoods like oak, mahogony, or teak, but that's pretty much cost prohibitive for an outdoor project.

For stains and paints, any outdoor paint from the hardware store would work well. For a top coat, you can get some spar urethane. I think this is a polyurethane that is weather resistant and it also protects from UV. But if you get a chance, I'd talk to one of the guys at the paint counter and see what they have to say.

If you want to use hardwoods, I would use cedar. Redwood and cypress hold up very well outside as well. As far as a finish home depot sells a stain/finish that is UV protectant, and comes in clear, cedar, or redwood tint. I can't remember the name of it. I used it on a chair I built for the yard (made from pine 2x's) and used the redwood UV stain. I built it last spring (2009) still looks good and repels water. and it sits out all year long.

Thank you to everyone for your advice!!

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use cedar for the supports and walunt for the top?

I have a lot of extra walnut, but I'm not sure if it would hold up to the elements that well. I just received my pattern today and I'm getting ready to go pick up the lumber. The top is going to be painted, with a finish on it to protect the paint. The cedar isn't going to be painted, but it will have a finish on it to protect the wood.

If walnut is not a good idea, since it's going to be painted, would plywood be a better choice or should I do all of it in cedar?

if it was me, I would not use walnut and paint it. That would be a waste of good beautiful wood just to cover with paint. I would use a less expensive type of wood for the top, like poplar or even pine. Since you are going to protect it with paint and another finish.

Againt this is just me, I hate painting hardwood.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me out. I was finally able to finish the windmill (after having to wait for my two broken thumbs to heal enough that I could use them again -- the planer hit a knot and threw the wood back at me snapping both my thumbs like twigs!! OUCH :curse: )

It is made out of cedar and walnut and the blades are made out of plywood. I only painted the blades and put a few drops of paint on the walnut face for design. It isn't perfect, but for my first windmill I think it turned out pretty good. And my neighbor loved it!! Here is a picture of it finished...

post-2269-134955542524_thumb.jpg

Ouch! That doesn't sound like much fun at all. I'm glad you're healed back up. The windmill turned out really cool. For some reason, I was thinking it would be one of those squat kind of windmills, kinda like the ones they have in Holland. I also like the sunflower type of propellers. Nicely done! :thumbs:

That windmill looks way better than the eiffels tower i just finished .Wish i'd have chosen the same wood as you then i would'nt have had to paint it to hide all the mistakes ,lol Very nice quality work.The joints are so tight that it looks like one piece.I'll give you first prize anyday for you craftsmanship.Good job!

That windmill looks way better than the eiffels tower i just finished .Wish i'd have chosen the same wood as you then i would'nt have had to paint it to hide all the mistakes ,lol Very nice quality work.The joints are so tight that it looks like one piece.I'll give you first prize anyday for you craftsmanship.Good job!

Thank you Kevin, that is so sweet of you!! I worked extra hard on the joints to make them look like one piece. I didn't think anyone would notice though!! lol